cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When to use "no peer neighbor-route" for PPP interfaces?

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

In my PPP implementations, I never used "no peer neighbor-route" on any PPP interfaces. Everything seems fine, including routing protocol adjacencies. I can ping peer interface IP and local PPP interface IP.

I often heard about "no peer neighbor-route". Cane someone show me in what situation it would be necessary to use it for PPP interfaces?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the PPP peer neighbour route is useful when each end of the PPP link is on a different subnet like when using ip unnumbered interfaces( borrowing the IP address from another interface for the PPP interface).

if both ends are on same subnet then you can safely disable the peer neighbour route.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

annamalai.pon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This feature work because of IPCP protocol.

This will be useful when u have 2 Routers in a 2 different subnet and without any protocol we want to communicate means this peer neighbor route will come to help. As ALAIN said it will also used in unnumbered link.

Regards

Annamalai

Peer neighbor route command is used when you use different subnet ip on ppp in between two different router like edge router and isp router. And if you use same subnet ip on ppp then simply use no peer neighbor route. It will also used in unnumbered link like loopback interfaces. +8801624093131

Rate please !!!

In no case you want to disable this feature out of a lab environment. To test your ppp solutions and the host route that ppp installs on the routing table you could disable this feature that by the way is on by default.

Alessio

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Alessio,

could you explain what will be the consequences of disabling this feature on a leased line for example if you are using the same subnet on both ends.

Regards.

Alain

Hi Alain,
You can read in Richard post the consequences of it . It is right to specify that your question is already addressed to an answer. If you are on the same subnet you already know that it would not be visible any consequence while if you are NOT on the same subnet, common case in the peak period of ppp implementation , you would not have your ppp session up. This is one of the points why you will never desire in a production environment to disable this feature(unless particular design)

Hope this answers.

Alessio

Rate if helpful :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had an experience with no neighbor-route. I was configuring a dial access implementation for a customer where remote PCs would dial in, be assigned an address from a pool configured on the router, and access the corporate network. I configured no neighbor-route and discovered that while the dial access router knew which remote had which address it was not able to advertise to the rest of the network and so the dial access clients had no connectivity to the corporate network.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

I never used "no peer neighbor-route" even for the "ip unnumbered" interfaces. IGP adjacency was always fine. PPPoE is an example I can think of where two peering interfaces may have two different subnet mask. In that case without "no peer neighbor-route", IGP adjacency in my implementation was fine too.

Maybe just for one peer being able to ping the other peer's interface address?

Thanks

Gary

Bahaa J
Level 1
Level 1

here is an answer to question in this regards

configure PPP between two routers and there should be no additional host routes after this configuring

no peer neighbor-route

hope this will add to the earliest post

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card