cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When using Frame-Relay, how to use it without using a subinterface?

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, all. Please help me on this.

I need OSPF routing in the following environment and I want to use Frame-Relay without using subinterfaces.

moonheesung_0-1678858884515.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Usually to use FR  you need to map data link connection ids (DLCI) via a FR switch, in your post it looks like you are using packet tracer which has limited features for simulation and assuming won’t support this anyway, however  is seems you have direct back-back serial connections so in this case you need set the clocking on the serial interfaces so one side of the connection is a DCE and the other is DTE  with he same DLCI mapping;

Example:

rtr1
int serial x/x
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
encapsulation frame-relay

no keepalive
clock rate 64000
frame-relay map ip 1.1.1.2 102

rtr2
int serial x/x
ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252

no keepalive
frame-relay map ip 1.1.1.1 102

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello
Usually to use FR  you need to map data link connection ids (DLCI) via a FR switch, in your post it looks like you are using packet tracer which has limited features for simulation and assuming won’t support this anyway, however  is seems you have direct back-back serial connections so in this case you need set the clocking on the serial interfaces so one side of the connection is a DCE and the other is DTE  with he same DLCI mapping;

Example:

rtr1
int serial x/x
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

no keepalive
clock rate 64000
frame-relay map ip 1.1.1.2 102

rtr2
int serial x/x
ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252

no keepalive
frame-relay map ip 1.1.1.1 102

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I agree with @paul driver on how to do FR without sub-interfaces, but why do you want to do that? I consider the use of sub-interfaces to be the preferred way to use FR unless there is some other constraint.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card