Views
Helpful
Replies

Which 10Gig Switch??

CSCO11573131
Level 1
Level 1

Goood Day,

i have to connect 11 3750 switches with sfp to single 12 port fiber switch.. but i want that switch must be 10gig , i have searched for 4948 , 4928 but unable to chose the best model.....confused with the model... just using mostly for storage to server , for  video recording.......

can any one suggest me...what are the best option to get 12 port fieb  10gig switch...with exact model number.

thanks.....waiting.

and what about 6800 series??

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
what are the best option to get 12 port fieb  10gig switch

What are you looking for again?  12 ports of 10 Gbps?

Data Sheet:  Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Fixed 10 Gigabit Ethernet Aggregation Switch

hi leo,

i need 10gig switch with 12 fiber ports...12 sfp...... atually i'm not sure , whether i need  the modules and gbics seperate or not.....can you tell me this  also....

10gig 12 port fiber switch.

i need 10gig switch with 12 fiber ports...12 sfp...... atually i'm not sure

I agree with Joseph here.  Your requirement is unclear.  The statement "actually I'm not sure" doesn't really help either.

can you tell me this  also....

I CANNOT tell you something YOU DON'T KNOW.

10gig 12 port fiber switch.

If you want 12 ports of 10 Gbps then the link for the 4500X that I've posted previously fits your bill.

But the next question is this:  Will you be doing MPLS or not?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Your requirements are a little unclear.

Are you looking for the distribution/core switch to accept fiber gig ports and have some number (count?) of 10 gig uplink ports, or should this switch have (12?) SFP/SFP+ ports so it can accept gig or 10 gig fiber?

What particular model of 3750s do you have now?  The uplinks would be gig or 10 gig?

PS:

Just saw your reply to Leo, as I posted this.  Still unclear whether you need gig ports, 10 gig ports, some of each (and counts of each), or gig/10gig ports.

The confusion is because SFP is normally just gig, you need SFP+ for 10 gig.

see..''

i'm using 11 3750 gig   switch with 2 sfp at the dist. layer..

now, i want to connect , all the 11 switches to the core switch through , FIBER...

for that purpose, i need a core switch...with atleast 12 fiber ports (SFP+ as you said)..

now, regarding the number "10"......i was sayibg that, i need 10gig switch.. now if SFP+ , is 10gig, then my problem solved...

now, as i hping, u will understand all, kindly suggest me which switch can i use  as core,,,, exact model,,,,and if there will any module....let me know the model module...

hope one will understand now,,

NO MPLS, NO QOS , NO REDUNDANCY, JUST A SIMPLE L3 SWITCHING...

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I've understood you want to use fiber and you're uplinking from 3750 series switches, but you're still have not clarified whether these uplinks are gig (SFP) or 10 gig (SFP+).  This is an important difference.

If you had described the exact 3750 models you're using, as I asked, it might have answered this question as most of the original 3750 series only offered gig while both the 3750E and 3750X can provide 10 gig.

PS:

Having just read Leo's later posting, he's 100% correct we're asking these questions so we can (hopefully) provide you good information.

You also might not realize, most of the people who answer these questions, don't work for Cisco nor or are paid to do this by Cisco.  (Even most of the Cisco folk, I believe, are unpaid for posting on these forums too.)  I.e. We volunteer our time to help others with their questions such as yours.

Additionally, besides trying to answer a direct question, we'll often want to know more because there can be reasons to chose solution A vs. solution B that the questioner hasn't thought about yet.  Simple example, can I place a 6248 line card from my 6006 into my 6509-E?  We ask, what IOS are you running on the 6509-E?  This because, yes there can be hardware compatibility issues between the 6006 and the 6509-E (which is what the original poster wants to know) but we ask because there's also IOS compatibility issues too and the original poster might not know (until they insert the line card in the 6509-E and find it doesn't work).

Oh, and lastly, if and when you find a valuable answer please rate it as such epecially if you believe it correctly answers your question.  This not only is courteous to those providing their time to help you but it helps other forum readers to find the good answer to their same question.

i'm using 11 3750 gig

And exactly WHAT model?  3750/3750G only have 1 Gbps uplinks.  3750E/3750X support BOTH 1/10 Gbps.

hope one will understand now,,

NO MPLS, NO QOS , NO REDUNDANCY, JUST A SIMPLE L3 SWITCHING...

No.  We are here to help you.  You need to tell us what you have and what you want to do before we can give you a definite answer.  No one in this forum would like to give you the wrong recommendation and this is the main reason why we try to quiz you with the correct facts.

Pawan Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adnan,

From your brief description I am able to figure out that you need a distribution switch with 12 ports SFP+ but unfortunately presently Cisco doesn't have an option in 1 or 2RU range for 12, 16 or 24 port SFP+ switch. The best for you today would be going for Cisco 4500X series switch, Please find the bill of material below -

WS-C4500X-32SFP+Catalyst 4500-X 32 Port 10G IP Base,   Front-to-Back cooling1
CAB-US515-C15-USNEMA 5-15 to IEC-C15 8ft US1
S45XUK9-33-1511SGCAT4500-X  Universal Crypto Image1
C4500X-IP-ESIP to Ent Srvc license for Catalyst 4500-X1
CAB-CONSOLE-RJ45Console Cable 6ft with RJ45 and DB9F1
Included: C4KX-NM-BLANKCatalyst 4500X Network Module Blank1

ProductDescriptionQuantity
WS-C4500X-32SFP+Catalyst 4500-X 32   Port 10G IP Base, Front-to-Back cooling1
CAB-US515-C15-USNEMA 5-15 to IEC-C15   8ft US1
S45XUK9-33-1511SGCAT4500-X  Universal Crypto Image1
C4500X-IP-ESIP to Ent Srvc   license for Catalyst 4500-X1
CAB-CONSOLE-RJ45Console Cable 6ft   with RJ45 and DB9F1
Included:   C4KX-NM-BLANKCatalyst 4500X   Network Module Blank1

This is a 32 port SFP+ switch and if you could wait for some time Cisco would launch a 16 & 24 port option very soon. Also, Please note that I have not added RPS & Trans-receivers to this BoM and also I had added Enterprise services license, which you can remove if you dont need those advance features.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Pawan S

http://www.ebrahma.com

Regards,
Pawan Sharma
https://itgears.io
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card