Views
Helpful
Replies

Which IP Multicast Routing Protocols?

turbo_engine26
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Forgive me if i am posting something related to the CCIE exam on the "WAN, Routing and Switching" area. This is because i used not to get proper answers or even not to get any answer at all on the "Certification" area.

In the CCIE R&S blueprint 4.0 and specifically in the IP Multicast section, it mentioned the implementation of the PIM Sparse mode only. Also, there is a very important statement about the topics in the blueprint. This statement says:

"The topic areas listed are general guidelines for the type of content  that is likely to appear on the exam. Please note, however, that other  relevant or related topic areas may also appear."

My question is:

Does it mean that PIM-DM, MOSPF, DVMRP and CBT won't appear on the exam? ... Because Cisco supports only PIM-SM/DM, so the other routing protocols won't appear in the exam? ...

This is very important to me because if that's the case, then i don't have to waste a time studying protocols that will not get covered in the exam and only focus on PIM. Regardless if i will use these protocols in real life, i am only focusing now on just the exam.

Appreciate your response.

HTH

A.M.

10 Replies 10

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

you only got to know about PIM for ipv4 multicast in CCIE RS.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Just for more confirmation, have you passed the CCIE lab or know someone who passed it in order to provide this answer? ... Forgive me if doubt your answer but i have to make sure that this is 100 % a correct answer since the lab exam is a serious one. I am afraid, for example, that your exam differs from others' exams and your exam covered only the PIM. This leads me to ask another question, do the exam's scenarios changes regularily from one student to another?

A second question please:

Although packet headers (IP header,TCP header, BGP messages header,...etc) are not officially mentioned in the blueprint, do i need to study them in case if i encounter them in the exam? ... Of course, this information is important in real life's troubleshooting scenarios but again, i am only caring now about the exam and just the exam.

HTH

A.M.

Hi,

I haven't had the chance to pass the lab yet and if I had I wouldn't have answered because of NDA anyway.

I'm only studying for the written and I didn't see any configs for other multicast routing protocols.

As you said Cisco only supports PIM so no need to care about the others for the lab as there are only cisco devices but I would study both PIM-DM and PIM-SM though.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello friends,

Without disclosing anything specific, I recommend becoming familiar with PIM-DM, PIM-SM, Bidir-PIM, Anycast-RP and with configuring DVMRP tunnels - all these are topics covered in INE preparatory labs (Internetwork Expert). It is obvious that the lab can not require knowledge about protocols that are not supported in IOS. Written Exam may go slightly further and ask even about protocols not supported in IOS but what always matters the most is understanding the principles which are, frankly, quite similar among multicast routing protocols.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your help and good to see you again. I heared about the unicast routing event (Ask the Expert) and i am sure you're doing so well in that.

What about the packet headers? are they covered in the lab? ... You don't have to tell me any specifics because of the NDA but i want a general advice. Is there any packet capturing tool to be used in the exam in order to examine packet headers for troubleshooting? ...

HTH

A.M.

Hello,

Thank you! You are certainly welcome to join the event with any questions regarding unicast routing protocols - there are still two days till the event is closed and I would like to make the most of it:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3461101#3461101

To your question: The focus of a CCIE lab is to get things working according to task assignments by configuring them. Considering the fact that the lab equipment may be even remotely accessed (think of mobile labs that were made available for R&S certifications), it is not realistic to capture packets in the lab topology as it may not even be at the same place with you. Even if recent labs have a troubleshooting part, with respect to the limitation I have just described, the only troubleshooting tools you are left with are the ones implemented in IOSes of the equipment. Knowing what to expect in packet headers/contents is helpful but you do not have the option of accessing the traffic directly. Simply put, think in terms of what you can get and see using the IOS features themselves.

Are you already signed for a CCIE Lab Exam?

Best regards,

Peter

At the moment, i don't have any questions regarding unicast routing as i am busy with multicast routing. but if i have any question, i will come for sure.

Well, i even didn't attempt the written exam yet. All the questions that i ask and the answers i grab regarding the CCIE lab are general guidelines to consider from now. In other words, it is a future plan (maybe within the next 12 months) that i am working on it from now. I expect to go for the written after 3 months. Because of the great help i find here from all the community members, i've practically finished all the "Implement IPv4" section in the blueprint. I am now on the "Implement IP Multicast" section then i will jump to MPLS VPNs section. However, the network security section is easy for me because actually i've been working in the security field as Sr.Network Security Analyst for 8 years since i am CCSP & CISSP certified.

BTW, i just realized that the question i asked here was extremely Stupid ! because as you said, why Cisco would test me on something that it doesn't support in its IOS! ... You can say that i love to double check everything even by using naive questions. No shame! lol

HTH

A.M.

Thanks a lot

A.M.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just focus on PIM.

Thx Edison

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card