cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router for Ethernet/Internet Service

Toomanydavids
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings -- My ISP has installed Ethernet/Internet service at my office (3Mbps up/3Mbps down). The provider calls it "3M EIA service". This comes with a block of 8 static IP addresses (/29 with 5 useable addresses). This replaces a DSL connection. My network has one Cisco/Tandberg Codec C20 video camera which requires a static public IP address. The internal network is DHCP (192.168.x.x).

My office never has more than 15 PCs accessing the Internet at a time.

Already installed is a Cisco WS-C2950G-48-EI 48-Port Catalyst 2950 Series Switch. I also have available a Cisco 96-Port Catalyst 4000 Series (Model: WS-C4003 Series) hand-me-down that I can install if the 2950 won't work. I've been told that both will work.

I also have available to me a Cisco 1841 router (also a hand-me-down) with a T1 module which I can replace with an appropriate module. However, I've been told that any Cisco 1800 series router won't work. The 1900 series will (too expensive for me).

I have never had to connect, configure or otherwise deal with such a circuit. This may be much simplier than I am trying to make of it. I am very much a newbie to this so I beg your indulgence.

What I need to know is what do I need by way of hardware (router or other) in order to make this work? Would a Cisco Small Business RVS4000 Gigabit Security Router with VPN 1 x RJ45 WAN Ports 4 x 10/100/1000Mbps LAN Ports suffice? If so, would setting up VLANs be recommended?

Of course, any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Unfortunately, I am on an extremely tight budget (I may have to pay for this out of my own pocket).

Many thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you have Enterprise line switch, I recommend you use true Cisco router, not a small business one. E.g, an 881 model.

For the rest. VLAN configuration etc. pleass search support from a profiessional, instead of trying to do yourself.

Thanks very much for your quick response. I will pursue your recommendation.

Toomanydavids
Level 1
Level 1

As to my original post --

I was snorting around the Cisco website and found an Ethernet WIC  module that might do the trick for my 1841 router. Originally, the  router was purchased with a T1 DSU/CSU module. The module I found is a  Cisco HWIC-4ESW EtherSwitch Interface Card. The website does mention  that the optional inline power support is not available for the 1841. Is  any of this OK or am I just whistling in the wind? If it is OK and will work, it will be an inexpensive way to provide the umph for my switch. I found them on Amazon & Ebay.

Thanks again.

Sorry I had missed that you have a 1841. You can use as it is without any additional module.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Matt Ehrhart
Level 1
Level 1

As Paolo stated earlier...you should hire a consultant to ensure your business/application requirements are properly met.

Hello David,
I strongly recommend you look for the right solution for your office which gives you enhanced productivity along with ROI and high availability.
The right product for you would be the Cisco Small Business ISA550 Series Integrated Security Appliance. For the link just google Cisco ISA550.
You can look at the wifi integrated one or the plain one if you have wireless.
You get load sharing, content filtering and host of other productivity enhancing features in the bargain.

Hope this helps you business.
Rgds/DP

Toomanydavids
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks for all of you who responded to my original post. Your advice is invaluable and I will follow your recommendations and leads. You have been a tremendous help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card