cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why i set 4.2.2.2 inside my pc then could surf internet?

phuayhow01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My PC is accessing the internet via a router. I have been configuring the router in order for my pc to gain access to the internet.

My issue is that i need to input the 4.2.2.2 inside the "preferred DNS Server" option of my laptop in order to surf the internet. Once i removed this 4.2.2.2 from the "preferred DNS Server" option, my laptop could not surf the internet even i could ping 8.8.8.8 from my laptop.

Could i know what went wrong as i don't intend to input 4.2.2.2 in every laptop when they are accessing the internet via this router?

Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Regards.

Raymond 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi raymond,

you'll need to use a DHCP service, either on the router or use a dedicated server, to lessen your admin burden.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfdhcp.html

View solution in original post

saurav.khanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raymond,

You need to add DNS settings on the DHCP server which is most probably your router. 4.2.2.2 is a DNS server and your laptop uses it to resolve any site that you are trying to browse via your Laptop. As given in the link just add:

Router(dhcp-config)# dns-server address  [

address2

... address8]

to your DHCp configuration on the router and things will work.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi raymond,

you'll need to use a DHCP service, either on the router or use a dedicated server, to lessen your admin burden.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfdhcp.html

saurav.khanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raymond,

You need to add DNS settings on the DHCP server which is most probably your router. 4.2.2.2 is a DNS server and your laptop uses it to resolve any site that you are trying to browse via your Laptop. As given in the link just add:

Router(dhcp-config)# dns-server address  [

address2

... address8]

to your DHCp configuration on the router and things will work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card