Views
Helpful
Replies

Would Bridge Mode on a Cisco RV340 be my best option

keith-h
Level 1
Level 1

My current setup is as follows:

ISP using PPOE---- Cisco RV340----Four (4) NetGear lvl2 Switches.

The Cisco RV3340 has the Firewall turned on and does VPN using Cisco AnyConnect

I also have the following VLANS on the Cisco RV340: VLAN1 (Default) using private IP subnet 192.168.6.x/24

VLAN 20 192.168.20.x/24 DHCP enabled

VLAN 30 192.168.30.x/24 DHCP enabled

VLAN 40 192.168.40.x/24 DHCP enabled

VLAN 50 192.168.50.x/24 DHCP enabled

VLAN 60 192.168.60.x/24 DHCP enabled

VLAN Ports to Table have tagging enabled for Lan 1 to Lan 4 for VLANS 20 to 60 with VLAN1 untagged.

NAT is enabled on the WAN 1 interface

I want to setup a Fortinet F80 in front of the Cisco RV340. The reason for this is to setup a Site-to-Site VPN connection with another Fortinet F40 that will allow me to do DR for my backups from one (1) QNAP NAS to another QNAP NAS.

My setup would be:

Site 1. ISP using PPOE---- Fortinet F80----Cisco RV340----Four (4) NetGear lvl2 Switches----QNAP NAS.

Site 2. ISP using PPOE----Fortinet F40----QNAP NAS.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

train00wreck
Level 1
Level 1

Putting the Cisco in front or behind the Fortigate, either one would technically work. However i would strongly recommend looking into alternatives for the Cisco RV340. That device was EOSed last year and has had more than one serious security vulnerability. The onboard software is only getting older and more pwnable by the day. A shame since i was able to get impressive IPSec throughput out of it. Those Fortinets perform at or maybe even a little above though, by themselves they would make fine VPN endpoints.

Just my 2 cents.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

train00wreck
Level 1
Level 1

Putting the Cisco in front or behind the Fortigate, either one would technically work. However i would strongly recommend looking into alternatives for the Cisco RV340. That device was EOSed last year and has had more than one serious security vulnerability. The onboard software is only getting older and more pwnable by the day. A shame since i was able to get impressive IPSec throughput out of it. Those Fortinets perform at or maybe even a little above though, by themselves they would make fine VPN endpoints.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for the insight. Just wondering if I can still use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN clients via Bridge mode on the Cisco RV340.

@keith-h hello,

as you mentioned you are using firewall feature in RV router. i suggest that you can configure FG40 as a router and firewall both. in that case you can omit the RV router. that will be simple and easy setup. you can configure all VLANs and DHCP pools in fortigate. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card