cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960X-48FPD-L Interface up PoE device is connected, power reported on wrong port +24 and -24 ports

keebs1077
Level 1
Level 1

I've gotten very odd behavior with one of my switches. When a device that uses PoE is connected to port 1, the switch reports that it detected the device on port 25:

Jan  8 03:05:12.208: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/25: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
Jan  8 03:05:13.371: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi1/0/25: Power granted
Jan  8 03:05:16.650: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jan  8 03:05:17.650: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up

The show output from show power inline and show ip int brief contradict each other:

sw2#show power inline

Module   Available     Used     Remaining
          (Watts)     (Watts)    (Watts)
------   ---------   --------   ---------
1           740.0        7.0       733.0
Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max
                            (Watts)                            
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Gi1/0/1   auto   off        0.0     n/a                 n/a   30.0
Gi1/0/25  auto   on         7.0     Ieee PD             2     30.0

sw2#show ip int brief
Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Vlan1                  10.0.0.14       YES NVRAM  up                    up      
FastEthernet0          unassigned      YES NVRAM  down                  down    
GigabitEthernet1/0/1   unassigned      YES unset  up                    up      
GigabitEthernet1/0/25  unassigned      YES unset  down                  down   

The ports from 1-24 are all reporting as power detected on the interface that is +24 ports from the numbered physical port. So port 1 reports 25, port 2 report 26, port 3 reports 27, etc. When I plug a PoE device in to the switch on ports 25-48, they all show as power detected on the interface that is -24 ports from the numbered physical port:

Jan  8 03:12:50.690: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi1/0/24: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
Jan  8 03:12:52.372: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Gi1/0/24: Power granted
Jan  8 03:12:55.629: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/48, changed state to up

I only have one device in the switch that I am experimenting with since there is something causing this switch to report incorrectly. Has anyone run in to something like this?

5 Replies 5

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Haven't ever experienced something like that. Very strange but not out of the realm of possibility I suppose.

Suggest opening a case and just get it RMA'd.

I do not have an option to RMA the device. It is odd because I had another line in the config to provision as switch 2 and when that was in everything worked fine when the active switch was switch 2.There would be a list of interfaces from g1/0/1 through g2/0/48 plus uplinks with only one switch in the "stack".

Interesting. A reload might fix it, if not is wiping the config back to default (write erase, reload) an option? Might want to try that. Sounds like something may be stuck.

I do not have an option to RMA the device.

Yes you do.  Read the 2960X Data Sheet carefully.  2960X is covered under Cisco's Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (Table 21).

What is the exact IOS version the switch is running on? 

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm thinking it is a software bug.  I would upgraded it to a gold star release of code.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card