protocol l2tpv3 networkstV3class
ip local interface GigabitEthernet8

interface fa 0
description LAN Facing
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
xconnect 172.16.192.91  1 encapsulation l2tpv3 pw-class NETWORKPW

It works fine when both devices are on the same subnet.

As soon as I move to different subnets 'sh xconnect all' shows the S2 as DN. I can ping to and from both ands and no firewall is in the way.

Help please.

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Martin,

Despite you have mentioned that you can ping from both ends, this seems like a basic connectivity issue between the tunnel endpoints.

Your configuration suggests that you are using GigabitEthernet8 interface's IP address as the source address. When you move the devices to different subnets, does this interface remain up/up? If you try the ping remote-end-address source gi8 command, thereby making sure that Gi8's address is used as the source of those pings, are you getting any responses?

And of course, after you moved the devices to different subnets, did you update the xconnect commands with the changed IP addresses of the tunnel endpoints?

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks for the reply.

turns out we needed the interwork ethernet command under the pseudowire

pseudowire-class NETWORKPW
encapsulation l2tpv3
protocol l2tpv3 networkstV3class

interworking ethernet
ip local interface GigabitEthernet8

Now we just have an issue with, when one end is rebooted we have to clear xconnect all for it to come back up.

Martin,

I am somewhat surprised that the addition of interworking ethernet resolved the issue with the pseudowire being down if the tunnel endpoints have been placed in different subnets. Anyway, if it works for you, keep it.

Regarding the second issue with the need to clear xconnects - can you provide more info? Any outputs, debugs, show commands etc. documenting in more detail what exact state is the pseudowire left in when one tunnel endpoint is rebooted?

What are the platforms used as the tunnel endpoints?

Best regards,
Peter

I'm with Peter and dont' see how 'interworking ethernet" would resolve your issue.  As Peter says, you have/had a basic connectivity issue.  I suspect you have resolved it by accident doing something else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: