cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2.2.b i Onboarding new edge routers

Jason Spring
Level 1
Level 1

When onboarding new edge routers, when is a device considered to be onboarded? Does a device need to be in vManage mode to be officially declared "onboarded"?

The reason I ask is some documentation says that a device template is required for onboarding. Adding a device template essentially puts the device into vManage mode through the eye of vManage. But technically you can onboard a device into CLI mode.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Onboarded means have control connections with all controllers. It doesn’t have to be in vManaged mode. I think reason the document says template is required probably referring to onboarding edge from PnP. Edge router will pass vbond authentication and get vManage’s information but it needs minimal system and tunnel interface config to build control connections, for pnp to work this minimal configuration is from template. If you don’t need pnp, this minimal config can be manually configured.

HTH,
Lei Tian

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Onboarded means have control connections with all controllers. It doesn’t have to be in vManaged mode. I think reason the document says template is required probably referring to onboarding edge from PnP. Edge router will pass vbond authentication and get vManage’s information but it needs minimal system and tunnel interface config to build control connections, for pnp to work this minimal configuration is from template. If you don’t need pnp, this minimal config can be manually configured.

HTH,
Lei Tian

Jason Spring
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. Everything you mentioned makes sense. 

Thanks again! 

Jason