cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to put vManage back to CLI-mode

brian.jones
Level 1
Level 1

I am running 20.9.4.1 in my lab and I know I can rebuild everything, but I came across a quirk and want to get more information/guidance.

I have a simple setup, with a single vManage, vSmart, vBond with three vEdges.  I got everything stood up and saw that the controllers can be placed into vManaged-mode, so I went ahead and configured a device template for all the controllers and place them into vManage mode. 

When I attempted to sign back into vManage, my password was reset to the "default password" and when I put the password in, it asked me to change it.  However, if I try to change the password, I get an error saying "User operation not allowed in vManage mode. Verify device attachments for all nodes in the cluster. While in vmanage-mode, password can be changed only through device template".

Now, I figured out how to temporarily disable vmanage-mode:

Personality: vmanage
Model name: vmanage
Services: None
vManaged: false
Commit pending: false
Configuration template: vManage-Template-v1
Chassis serial number: None

But restarting nms, causes it to be back into vManage mode (probably due to the configuration-db). 

My question "Is there a way to force the vManage device from not being managed by itself?"

I believe the issue was caused due to the AAA being the factory template instead of configuring the admin user in the template, so I think I know if I rebuild it, I can correct it, but I am looking to see if I can save the time for all the rebuild.  No backups were taken, so that will be the other thing I will do in the rebuild.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I know I'm late, but for anyone else that has this issue: you can create a new user with netadmin privileges via vManage CLI:

!

config

system

aaa

user testuser

password Testuser123

group netadmin

commit and-quit

yes

!

And then use this user to log in to the vManage GUI. After this you can change the AAA template of vManage.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

I know I'm late, but for anyone else that has this issue: you can create a new user with netadmin privileges via vManage CLI:

!

config

system

aaa

user testuser

password Testuser123

group netadmin

commit and-quit

yes

!

And then use this user to log in to the vManage GUI. After this you can change the AAA template of vManage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying.  I will make a note of this if I run into an issue with getting into vManage GUI in the future.

fermiwu8888
Spotlight
Spotlight

The root cause is the managerd flow must  be used by  vpn512.