cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

sd-wan api rest return values documentation?

mh7000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

There seems to be plenty of examples and documentation for calling the API from multiple languages, but I can't seem to find anything documenting the return values.

For example:

I can successfully call /devices and get all the devices and their attribute/values.  I am using this to feed into a local monitoring system, so I am interested in the 'status' attribute (amongst others).

In all the queries I have run, this returns 'normal', even when the router is turned off and disconnected from the network.

Is there any documentation on the possible attribute values and the situations/instances that cause the different values?

Thanks,

Michael.

3 Replies 3

The field you're interested in is called "reachability", not "status". "reachability" will tell if you if the device is reachable from the vmanage's point of view (i.e. if the vedge has control connections up to the vmanage).

It could be worse but the Vmanage API documentation is pretty poor, in general. Many things you just find out via trial-and-error. 

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is a swagger interface in vmanage and you can run API commands and get the response body.   go to https://vmanage_ip/apidocs

Another alternative is to use developer tools in google chrome and run your workflow manually through the web UI.   developer tools will capture all the API details.

It's still a fact that the API is poorly documented in many cases, in regards to how specific payloads should be constructed and so on. 

And while it's true that we can use the developer tools in a browser, we should not have to do that. As paying customers, we have a reasonable expectation for a properly documented API.