cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding data flow in vEdge

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi vEdge1 and vEdge3 are connected like first below picture. After vIOS1 send extend ping to vIOS3, we got data flow info from vManage like the below second and third picture.

a.PNG

We get data flow info from vEdge01 and vEdge02 via vManage as below:

1.PNG

3.PNG

Based on the last two pictures, we can see  data flow out and in at ge0/1 at vEdge3, and ge0/0 at vEdge3 is almost nothing. While at vEdnge1, interface ge0/1 has flow in and ge0/0 has flow out. Is this normal? Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @interfacedy 

You're welcome. It's interesting

I think you may be load balancing without much consistency of both ways interfaces .

Do you have any AAR configured? If this is not your case, let me know. Let's enable it in test mode, telling it that both links have the same preference on both vEdge1 and vEdge3.

Let me know

View solution in original post

Hi,

how many BFD connections do you have between vedge1 and vedge3? I guess 4 and based on hashing result vEdge1 chooses path (edge1-ge0/0 <> edge3-ge0/1) and vEdge3 chooses path (edge3-ge0/0 <> edge1-ge0/1). Most probably you also have some routing for different labeled transports on "vIOS-Core".

HTH,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

manuelosorio
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @interfacedy 

According to the last image of vEdge3, I can see outgoing traffic. In fact the G0/1 (TX) has 127.50Klbs and G0/0 (TX) has 19.17Klbs. I suggest you try to generate more traffic In both directions so you can measure better. I also see a lot of Similary traffic on vEdge1 and vEdge3. For me it seems normal.

TX - Transmit (Out)  and RX  Receive (In)

You can try a simulate flow and observe the path that each packet flows.

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

@manuelosorio Thank you very much for your reply!

Now vIOS1 send massage to vIOS3. So we can see ge0/0 is TX and ge0/1 is TR at vEdge1 at picture vEdge-1. If this is correct, ge0/0 should be TR and ge0/1 should be TX (the traffic mount also should be same as ge0/1 at vEdge-1) at vEdge3 based on the physical connection. but instead current ge0/0 is almost nothing, and g0/1 is TX and TR as well at vEdge3. It looks like the traffic at vEdge-1 and 3 are not consistent based on physical connection. 

Hi @interfacedy 

You're welcome. It's interesting

I think you may be load balancing without much consistency of both ways interfaces .

Do you have any AAR configured? If this is not your case, let me know. Let's enable it in test mode, telling it that both links have the same preference on both vEdge1 and vEdge3.

Let me know

Hi,

how many BFD connections do you have between vedge1 and vedge3? I guess 4 and based on hashing result vEdge1 chooses path (edge1-ge0/0 <> edge3-ge0/1) and vEdge3 chooses path (edge3-ge0/0 <> edge1-ge0/1). Most probably you also have some routing for different labeled transports on "vIOS-Core".

HTH,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

It shows normal now. this might be ping ip was wrong. 

Anyway thank you all for your reply.

Nice @interfacedy