cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4503/4506 & DLSw

sunniexiang
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to find out on Cisco web page if 4503/4506 switches support DLSw, but all I got is the following, "Software Advisor has detected an error. Software Advisor is having trouble processing your request. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please return to Software Advisor's homepage".

I have a SupIII, can I run DLSw? If yes, how?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mbinzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

the supervisor in a cat4k does not support dlsw.

The only way to run dlsw directly in a cat4k is with an AGM (Advanced Gateway Module) module, WS-X4604-GWY. You can use it to do dlsw if you have one. The module is already end of sales, so you can not buy a new one.

The only other option is with an external regular router.

thanks...

Matthias

View solution in original post

jishi
Level 1
Level 1

You need a WS-X4604-GWY in Cat4k to run DLSw regardless of the type of the Supervisor module.

WS-X4604-GWY is called "Access Gateway Module" or "AGM". AGM runs its own IOS (the image name starts with "c4gwy-xxxxx-....") which is completely different from whatever running on the Superviosr module. You will have 2 seperate console connections, one goes to AGM and the other goes to the Supervisor. Even your Supervisor module supports L3 switching, it doesn't support DLSw, and the AGM couldn't replace the Supervisor either. So the bottom line is that you need an AGM and Sup. module to get the normal R&S function and DLSw function on the same box. Another other thing is, when you have the AGM installed in the Cat4k, if you do sh module, the Module-Type of the AGM will show as "Voice Gateway", it's normal.

BTW, I just tried the Software Advisor, it works for me. There might be a web problem at that time.

Hope this helps

Jing

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mbinzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

the supervisor in a cat4k does not support dlsw.

The only way to run dlsw directly in a cat4k is with an AGM (Advanced Gateway Module) module, WS-X4604-GWY. You can use it to do dlsw if you have one. The module is already end of sales, so you can not buy a new one.

The only other option is with an external regular router.

thanks...

Matthias

jishi
Level 1
Level 1

You need a WS-X4604-GWY in Cat4k to run DLSw regardless of the type of the Supervisor module.

WS-X4604-GWY is called "Access Gateway Module" or "AGM". AGM runs its own IOS (the image name starts with "c4gwy-xxxxx-....") which is completely different from whatever running on the Superviosr module. You will have 2 seperate console connections, one goes to AGM and the other goes to the Supervisor. Even your Supervisor module supports L3 switching, it doesn't support DLSw, and the AGM couldn't replace the Supervisor either. So the bottom line is that you need an AGM and Sup. module to get the normal R&S function and DLSw function on the same box. Another other thing is, when you have the AGM installed in the Cat4k, if you do sh module, the Module-Type of the AGM will show as "Voice Gateway", it's normal.

BTW, I just tried the Software Advisor, it works for me. There might be a web problem at that time.

Hope this helps

Jing

Thanks everyone for the expedite response. Appreciate all your help.