cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Activation failed for B200M4 5.0 board controller firmware with UCS 2.2(3a)

amoskanigher
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we've just added 3 x B200M4 to a UCS env running 2.2(3a), the blades shipped with 2.2(5a) and version 7.0 of board controller firmware.

Once the service Profile is associated or if manually executing the steps, the activation of the 5.0 board controller fails. The 2.2(3a) firmware ships with 5.0, and i just wanted to downgrade the new blades to the standard version.

Tried to execute this via cli as well but failed: (as per: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12571651/activation-failed-b200-m4-70-board-controller-firmware-ucs-mini-302c)

# scope server X/Y (chassis X blade Y)
# scope boardcontroller
# show image (this will list all of the firmware versions)
# activate firmware 5.0 force (Select a lower version than the one already running)
# commit-buffer

Any help will be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

amoskanigher
Level 1
Level 1

This is the FSM error log for action.

I have this exact same issue with new M4s I just received.  Did you find a solution yet?  I'm trying  a few things...

I found this.

The following limitations apply to M3 and M4 board controller firmware:

• You cannot downgrade the firmware after the upgrade is complete.

• You must be using Cisco UCS Manager, Release 2.1(2a) or greater.

• The board controller firmware version of the blade server should be the same or newer than the installed software bundle version.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/firmware-mgmt/cli/2-2/b_CLI_Firmware_Management_22/directly_upgrading_firmware_at_endpoints.html#task_78667C3756C549D6B7587D3FC3B5C46B

I guess it's okay to just leave these blades as oddballs?

John thank you for bringing this to us.

you're absolutely correct with the information.

However bug CSCuu15465 has been filed to have the UCSM fault removed in the upcoming/current firmware releases.

Regards,

-SK

*Please do not forget to rate all usefull posts

Saurabh Kothari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

did you try: 

In the host firmware policy do not check board controller for this B200M4 leave it blank. Then manually activate it from installed firmware tab in server.

Regards,

-SK