cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bootp on Cisco router

iberko
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to configure a Cisco router as a bootp server to load a digital terminal server with a file "mneng2.sys" from the router flash, instade from a remote bootp server over the wan.

need help on configuration does it support?

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Level 12
Level 12

The router can't be configured to be a bootp server but you can configure it sich that it forwards bootp requests from the client to an actual bootp server using the ip helper-address.

for more information on the "ip helper-address" command, refer to the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801a7ea5.html#wp1091304

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks ,but it is not what I am looking for...

I am looking for a bootp configuration that the router will be a bootp server. The image for the terminal server will be on that router flash and when there is a bootp request from the lan interface then the router will serve the request and send the image

file to the terminal server..

Regards

Israel

bootp server can't be configured on Cisco IOS. You can configure it as DHCP server though. The bootp device can probably get an IP address from the DHCP server. If you also configured your router as a TFTP server abd copy the image in the router's flash, you could probably get your bootp client to boot properly.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México