cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1000V Layer 3 setup - it is possible ?

mirhav
Level 1
Level 1

Hello dears, I would like to solve my problem .... please advise if it is possible.

I have some special blade solution .... Every node has 2x infiniband interface and not standard gb ethernet port is pressent ... 

I need separate traffic without VLAN (over IB) it is possible do this scenario (e. image 1) ? 

help.png

help2.png

Thank you much for answer !!! :-)

Mirek

5 Replies 5

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5

Are you trying to do some type of High Performance Computing?  The 1000V is a VDS that is used instead of the VMware VDS. You can serpate VNIC's in to seperate subnets, but if the Infiniband switch does't understand Eithernet what good would that do you. Maybe in the HPC software you can acheive that.

Looks like they use to have an Infiniband Subnet manager, but it's EOL now.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/server_nw_virtual/high_performance_subnet_manager/release1-3/user/guide/HSM_user_gd/hsmabout.html

This is a blade solution from SGI, which previously served as hpc cluster (therefore the absence gbe), which I now want to use for another purpose.

And now I need to solve the separation of networks for each virtual pc.

I can do it over Infiniband PKEY but it is not good solution because PKEY implementation in ESXI is terrible.

And now I need to know whether it is possible to connect (stack) the VEM only on the layer3 or layer2 without VLAN ...

I wish all the beautiful weekend and thank you for the answers

What kind of Infiniband switch is it?

Is it possible do it IPoIB but i can not use VLAN. Only one subnet.

You probably could, but the Nexus 1000V wouldn't participate in that. Only your applications/os would. Can you not purchase a standard Ethernet switch?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card