Views
Helpful
Replies

DLSW cost attribute bidirectional ???

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I've 2 router (router A and router B) that their job is to concentrate DLSw+ circuit into the data center.

At the WAN Edge there are about 10 router (Router C,D,E...) that establish peer relationships with both the data center DLSw router (Aand B).

For load sharing I've defined this rules on the dlsw remote-peer command:

- WAN Edge Router odd DLSw peer to A cost = 2

- WAN Edge Router odd DLSw peer to B cost = 8

- WAN Edge Router even DLSw peer to A cost = 8

- WAN Edge Router even DLSw peer to B cost = 2

With this configuration I've been able to control which peer is the preferred when the DLSw circuit are established from WAN Edge Router to data center router.

Do I have to apply the same concept if the DLSw circuit are established from data center router

- Data Center Router A DLSw peer to odd peer cost = 2

- Data Center Router A DLSw peer to even peer cost = 8

- Data Center Router B DLSw peer to odd peer cost = 8

- Data Center Router B DLSw peer to even peer cost = 2

or the cost attribute is bidirectional ??? So that I can also controlling the DLSw circuit established from Data Center to the WAN Edge peer...

5 Replies 5

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

The DLSW cost is not bidirectional. You need configure it at both ends.

I've configured DLSW connection using the following general rules :

Branch Office A to DLSW Concentrator A cost 2

Branch Office A to DLSW Concentrator A cost 4

Branch Office X to DLSW Concentrator A cost 2

Branch Office X to DLSW Concentrator A cost 4

using the command

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp x.x.x.x cost

The following IOS Release train are installed:

on DLSW Concentrator 12.2

on peer A 11.2(26)

on peer X 12.1T

what I've noticed is that with neither IOS release the remote-peer cost is working when I issue the sh dlsw capabilites on the concentrators, because on both concentrators all peers are "seen" with the attribute peer costs equal to 3 , that is the default value...

Is this related to an IOS problem ???

The cost in the DLSW capablities display is the cost that the other peer is advertising to this router but it will be overridden by any cost coded on the remote peer statement on this router.

It is also a recommendation to run the same levels of code on DLSW peering routers since there is no explicit testing done between different versions.

Basically If I saw with sh dlsw capab on router A that a neighbor has cost of 3 (default) and then on A I will configure

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp 1.1.1.1 cost 7

This cost customization will not be inserted into DLSW capabilities seeing that is configured on A and is not received by the peer...is this correct ???

To change the cost in DLSW capabilities I'll have to set it on the peer using the dlsw local-peer command...

Yes, exactly.