cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual home at FEX or Host

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

The attached is the design I'd like to pursue when setting up a new data center network.  I want to use NIC teaming from servers and channel groups from routers and other network devices when connecting to the fabric extenders.  This document runs through a sample configuration and outlines creating a vPC between a server and the FEXs.  My question is, do I need to create a vPC for every server that is dual homed to the FEXs when using NIC teaming?  If so, is the only alternative to dual home the FEXs instead?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are talking about figure 4 in the PDF, yes, you have to create vPC for every single server. The server in figure 4 is using LACP as channel protocol and both NIC are forwarding traffic (active/active).

If you are using active/standby, you don't need to create vPC.

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are talking about figure 4 in the PDF, yes, you have to create vPC for every single server. The server in figure 4 is using LACP as channel protocol and both NIC are forwarding traffic (active/active).

If you are using active/standby, you don't need to create vPC.

HTH,

jerry

I see, it's really just a matter of taking advantage of active/active paths then. 

thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card