cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

high speed fan noise N5K-C5010P-BF

kiraciro
Level 1
Level 1

hi all i booted my cisco N5K-C5010P-BF again.
I noticed that even without load the fans remain at 40%.
is it possible to slow them down?

having no license agreement I can not upgrade the switch more than that.

2.PNG

1.PNG

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post #show environment fan detail

Also, nexus 5.0 is too old a version at least go to 7.0.X 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

as said i can't download the updated file having no license agreement .. if you can send me it would be perfect via email or google drive.

I can not understand which environment you want to see ... can you tell me the command line ?

#show environment fan detail   <<<-----------this the command out put you need to post

bare in mind most of the nexus switches more noise and they protect in DC environment, based on the temperature the FAN run faster and slower. to make the switch work as expected.

you can google to get image if you know the file name. if you do not have contract with cisco or entities to download, live with what you have right now.

or contact cisco partner to help you.

This is not an issue with a product, this nature of the design of nexus switches.

BB

I tried to contact but no help..

2.PNG

thank you for the output, as per I know the fan speed auto controlled based on the temperature on the device, so you can not control on that.

i see in the live environment 40% is ok , I will only investigate if go beyond 70% see what is environment temperature in the DC.

Note : bare in mind most of the nexus switches more noisy.

BB

I thank you. you can not get me the most updated fw ?

distributing the Images is not a legal way,  we need to bind to the cisco License agreement if this is Lab as I mentioned you can google may get lucky to get downloaded sites and you can use them.

To get more clarity I am sure we are discussing FAN speed in the Orginal post, not Power consumption.

BB

Yes just I want to point to this point also, there is issue with FAN speed and also I see SUP consume high power. 
can it relate together ?

why supervisor consume 30-40% of power ??
I think from this point we start check 

I don't know why it consumes so much ... I only started it today .. it only connected 2 sfp+ cables for flex to another switch.

How do I lower consumption?

i had already read that post and i didn't see anything weird.. in the end it has the same fan speeds as me.
as already said I can't update since I don't have a license agreement to download the new fw.
Can any of you send it to me?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card