cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOM in UCS blad + fabric interconnect

tocao
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We are using UCS blade + fabric interconnect for our Oracle RAC environment.  We have two vnics for each blade. One is for public network. The other is for private network. The first one is using fabric A. The second one is using fabric B. If I am right, fabric A is built on IOM1 and fabric B is built on IOM2. So my question is that if IOM1 is broken, does public network still work? Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

As long as your vlans are global (exist on both FIs up active uplinks ports), and your vnics are set to 'failover' enabled, then yes, either one of your vnics can send traffic up both IOMs/FIs, but as long as connectivity is healthy, they will stay with the default side you have chosen.

Thanks,

Kirk...

I don't understand the concept of this design; most likely you want to separate traffic for public resp. private network. However, whatever you use for failover (hardware failover, or OS = software failover) you run public and private traffic over the same fabric ?

Anyway, hardware failover is a feature which was introduced many years ago to solve missing funtionality of MSFT sever 2008 !

Today, it is recommended to use the proper OS to handle failover !

In your case, use 2 vnics for private and 2 vnics for public; and then you configure on the OS, that private runs preferred path over fabirc A, and public over B.

In your suggestion, the load for fabric A would be different with fabric B. we can use one public vnic and one private vnic over one fabric. 

I found a very old document, which uses hardware Failover, as you describe it.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/cisco_ucs_oracle_rac.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/App_Networking/Oracle11gR2_RAC_B200-M1_8_Node_Certification.pdf

I think this is obsolete by now !

tocao
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have an official doc for Oracle RAC running on Cisco UCS? then I check it out if our design is right or not. Thank you.