Views
Helpful
Replies

ISSU on 5020s with dual-homed FEX

ryan.lambert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm reading the documentation on ISSU with the Nexus 5020, and I'm a little unclear. So, the data plane continues forwarding on the 5020 switches while the control plane is upgrading, and this is non-disruptive.

The FEX modules are upgraded in a rolling fashion, and this is also considered non-disruptive. Do the FEX modules continue to pass traffic on the data plane similar to the switch, or is the upgrade considered non-disruptive because it is "rolling"? ie: If I have single homed servers to a FEX, will they be taking a hit while the FEX upgrades in an ISSU scenario?

ISSU Support For Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders

Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders act as line cards to Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches. The fabric extenders add flexibility to datacenter networking infrastructure by decoupling the physical and logical (Layer 2) topology, reducing the operation expense by lowering management and troubleshooting points, and building a larger layer 2 fabric that is loop-free, with a single layer of switching.

The ISSU process initiated on the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches upgrades the entire access layer including the switch and the FEXs that are connected to the switch.

An ISSU first upgrades the switches. Once the switch is operational with the upgraded software, the FEX's are upgraded. This upgrade of the FEX is done in a rolling fashion, one FEX at a time. This upgrade on the Fabric Extenders is non-disruptive, similar to the upgrade of the switch.

Thanks!                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Lucas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

Yes, the FEXs will continue to pass traffic while the upgrade is done. Of course, assuming that you have a supported ISSU topology.

Another thing I'd look at is "sh spanning-tree issu-impact" this will tell you if STP will allow a non-disruptive upgrade of the 5k as well as FEX.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Lucas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

Yes, the FEXs will continue to pass traffic while the upgrade is done. Of course, assuming that you have a supported ISSU topology.

Another thing I'd look at is "sh spanning-tree issu-impact" this will tell you if STP will allow a non-disruptive upgrade of the 5k as well as FEX.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Thanks for the clarification, David.

Yes, I'm in a supported ISSU topology, STP configured properly for it... so I think we should be good to go.

Awesome!

Another thing to check is making sure the software path is supported for ISSU. You can find that info in the release notes.

I did discover I need to go to 5.0(3)x first by issuing "show install all impact" with our 5.2 image we eventually want to get to.

Such a great feature...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card