cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

N7K Sup replacement fallback from SUP1 to SUP2E has no problem at all ?

best2sons
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

My customer has N7K SUP1 with HA as below and I need to replace 2  with SUP2E 6.1.2 from SUP1(6.1.1).

As per Cisco document, it is required EPLD upgrade from SUP1 to SUP2E with Fabric-2 module, but there is no estimated time for EPLD process, so my customer has a difficulty to declare downtime.

And as it is their main core switch, they really want to know that there is no problem to fallback to their original SUP1 with 6.1.1 vesion in case of failure of replacement to SUP2E(6.1.2), but I cannot find exact information of this kind of fallback procedure.

Current module status is below.

Mod  Ports  Module-Type                         Model              Status
---  -----  ----------------------------------- ------------------ ----------
1    0      Supervisor module-1X                N7K-SUP1           active *
2    0      Supervisor module-1X                N7K-SUP1           ha-standby
3    48     1000 Mbps Optical Ethernet XL Modul N7K-M148GS-11L     ok
4    48     1/10 Gbps Ethernet Module           N7K-F248XP-25      ok
5    24     10 Gbps Ethernet Module             N7K-M224XP-23L     ok

Mod  Sw              Hw
---  --------------  ------
1    6.1(1)          3.0     
2    6.1(1)          3.0     
3    6.1(1)          1.3     
4    6.1(1)          1.0     
5    6.1(1)          2.0 

1. Can I have no downtime to do this activity as i have 2 supervisor  cards ?

As per Cisco HW installation guide, It seems I should replace 2 SUP at same time, but if I can replace separately, please let me know.

2. How many minute is required for upgrade EPLD with above HW inventory ?

I assummed this time about 1hr ~ 90 min(max), is it correct ?

3. If this upgrade is failed, then I need to rollback from SUP2E(S2-6.1.2) to original SUP1(S1-6.1.1).

Is below step is correct for rollback ?

- Turn off the power to the switch

- For each Supervisor 2E module installed in the switch, remove the module and replace it with a Supervisor 1 module.

- Power on and verify all module is fine, sh version to check to rollback to S1-6.1.1.

- Run ‘install all epld bootflash:n7000-s1-epld.6.1.1a.img parallel’ after rebooting with original SUP1.

- Verify configuration and status

4. when I downgrade to n7000-s1-epld-6.1.1a, only linecard will be downgrade > or All SUP and FAN or Power module EPLD also downgrade ?

If so, how many minute will re required with previous HW inventory ?

I assummed this time about 40 ~ 60 min(max), is it correct ?

5. From S1-6.1.1a to S2-6.1.2a upgrade, will N2K FEX Software be upgrade as well ?

I  need to update this downtime by tomorrow morning, so I seek your advice  urgently.

Please share your experinece with me, thanks in advance.

Jason.

1 Reply 1

N7K Sup replacement fallback from SUP1 to SUP2E has no problem at all ?

The M2 Series modules interoperate with M1 Series and F1 Series modules in the same VDC.
The M2 Series modules work with Fabric 1 and Fabric 2 modules and they work with both Supervisor 1 and Supervisor 2 modules.
The migration procedure is disruptive.
To ensure an error-free migration, we recommend that you follow these steps to install an M2 Series module:

1. Remove the module to be replaced.

2. Enter the write erase command to erase the startup configuration.

3. Insert the M2 Series module.

4. Enter the copy running-config startup-config command to copy the configuration to the switch.

please refer the link below for more info :-
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/61_nx-os_release_note.html.