Views
Helpful
Replies

Native Vlan ID on VPC Links

haidar_alm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding native Vlan configuration on VPC link trunk ports.

On our infrastructure, we don't have Native Vlan configured on some of our VPC links to servers, and it's also not configured on the VPC-Link between our Nexus Core switches. So, this is using Vlan 1. 

I'm aware that it is not recommended to use Vlan 1 in networking. However, I'm not sure if this rule applies to VPC connection between Nexus Cores and also between Nexus to Server.

Question is as follows:

• Is it recommended to change this to a different Vlan on the VPC Peer-Link on our Nexus Cores, or do we just leave it as default Vlan 1?

• On the VPC links to the server virtual environment, if we change Native Vlan to say 100, would there be an option on the server side to change this to Vlan 100 as well so that both end match and not get a mismatch? Or does this behavior  happens between switches only

Many thanks,

1 Reply 1

liguoriariel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi haidar,

Regardung: "Is it recommended to change this to a different Vlan on the VPC Peer-Link on our Nexus Cores, or do we just leave it as default Vlan 1?"

As you may know the best practice regarding not to use vlan 1 is for security purposes, in case of your core devices  there is no harm on leave native in 1, but just on these ports all other trunks or access port should have a different untagged traffic vlan.

And for : "

On the VPC links to the server virtual environment, if we change Native Vlan to say 100, would there be an option on the server side to change this to Vlan 100 as well so that both end match and not get a mismatch? Or does this behavior  happens between switches only"

If server side is running trunk you will have an option to change this, could be named as native vlan or untagged traffic/port vlan.

HTH,

AL