cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v: Control VLAN must be same VLAN as ESX hosts?

pwlau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I'm trying to install nexus 1000v and came across the below prerequisite.

The below release notes for Nexus 1000v states

VMware and Host Prerequisites

The VSM VM control interface must be on the same Layer 2 VLAN as the ESX 4.0 host that it manages. If you configure Layer 3, then you do not have this restriction. In each case however, the two VSMs must run in the same IP subnet.

What I'm trying to do is to create 2 VLANs - one for management and the other for control & Data (as per latest deployment guide, we can put control & data in the same vlan).

However, I wanted to have all ESX host management same VLAN as the VSM management as well as the vCenter Management. Essentially, creating a management network.

However, from the above "VMWare and Host Prerequisites", does this means I cannot do this?

I need to have the ESX host management same VLAN as the control VLAN?

This means that my ESX host will reside in a different VLAN than my management subnet?

Thanks...

2 Replies 2

pwlau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My mistake, I think I've read through it very quickly..

I should be able to achieve this when i define the control vlan in the system-uplink port profile as well..

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Control vlan is a totally seperate VLAN then your System Console. The VLAN just needs to be available to the ESX host through the upstream physical switch and then make sure the VLAN is passed on the uplink port-profile that you assign the ESX host to.

We only need an interface on the ESX host if you decide to use L3 control. In that instance you would create or use an existing VMK interface on the ESX host.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card