cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 2348UPQ initial configuration

cweinhold
Level 4
Level 4

I'm having trouble getting the Nexus 2348UPQ to come online with a parent Nexus switch. The Nexus 2348UPQ shows amber lights on all ports and the parent switch does not see a link up.

So far, I've tried this cabling on the Nexus 2348UPQ QSFP uplinks:

• a QSFP-H40G-AOC5M straight-through cable to QSFP port on a Nexus 6001.
  • a QSFP-4x10G-AC10M breakout cable to SFP+ ports on a pair of Nexus 5548P's.

Both these cables are shown as supported in the Nexus 2300 data sheet. (unfortunately the Nexus 2348UPQ is not listed in the 10G or 40G transceiver matrix to verify that claim). The hardware installation guide makes very little mention of the Nexus 2300 series. The parent switches are running the latest 7.1(0)N1(1a) NX/OS code. I have tried two separate Nexus 2348UPQ's with the same results.

Is there some trick to getting these FEX's online??   We have plenty of other FEX models that come up right away.

-Craig

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure if this is any help to you, but I have never used QSFP-H40G-AOC5M cable before. I have used QSFP-H40G-CU5M in the past with no issues.

HTH

we got it (at least for now) working with this solution:
http://www.madari.co.il/2014/09/cisco-nexus-5k-with-2248pq-connectivity.html

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Craig,

Did you get this working?

• a QSFP-4x10G-AC10M breakout cable to SFP+ ports on a pair of Nexus 5548P'sK

I am facing the same issue now.

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

Yes we did get it working. The 2348UPQ I'd been working on was an early beta unit from Cisco, and it was broken/stuck. The replacement unit worked fine with both straight-through 40G and breakout 10G cabling.

One thing to note is that the 2348UPQ auto-detects whether to do straight-through 40G or 10G breakout as it boots. So if you're struggling with getting it up, you'll want to power cycle the FEX each time you change the cabling.

-Craig

Thank you very much Craig. I am so glad to see your reply.

What breakout cable did you use? was it QSFP-4x10G-AC10M? We use QSFP-4X10G-AOC1M (this is listed in the data sheet of Nexus 2348UPQ) but cannot it working.

Any special configurations are needed on both side? 

Much appreciated !

Michael

We're using QSFP-4X10G-AC10M. In "show int transceiver", the 10G sides of the cable report the transceiver as being "SFP-H10GB-ACU10M" which is supported by our Nexus 5548P's.

With your cable, I'd expect the 10G side to report "SFP-10G-AOC1M". According to the 10G transceiver matrix, AOC cables aren't supported by Nexus 5500/5600 switches. That could be your problem. E.g., the 40G end is supported by the 2348UPQ, but the 10G side isn't supported by the parent switches.

Try a QSFP-4SFP10G-CU1M -- CDW has them in stock for immediate delivery. (gotta plug my employer!)