Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 and B5108

andrew.er.brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I am curious to know if you can connect a Cisco B5108 chassis directly to a Nexus 7K and forgo the FIs.

I have always used FIs between the 5100 series and an IOS based core switch (4500/6500). However we are migrating to a Nexus 7K. I have read that the Nexus7K supports data center bridging but I cannot find any information on the net to support that a Cisco 5100 can connect directly to an N7K for both data/SAN.

Thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately this is not possible. The Fabric Interconnects are the brains of the UCS-B operation and without them the servers in the chassis are just hardware. There would be no way to configure the blades without the fabric interconnects.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately this is not possible. The Fabric Interconnects are the brains of the UCS-B operation and without them the servers in the chassis are just hardware. There would be no way to configure the blades without the fabric interconnects.

Thanks Wes and Rick, that was the solid answer I was looking for.

Have a great day

Thanks guys, that was the solid answer I was looking for.

Have a great day

No problem have a great day.

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
I agree with Wes, the FI's have Cisco UCS manager running on the ASIC's and you wouldn't be able to manage the servers in the chassis without them.