Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV

happyatuni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have 2 DataCentre (one primary and one backup) across 2 states.  My VMWare guys wants to do VMotions between the 2 x Data Centres.  But I wouldn't be able to bridge 2 x Data Centres with Dark Fibre (too far of a distance).

How does OTV work? Does it encapsulates L2 information within L3 connections?

Would be greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some lights on this.

Cheers,

Hunt

3 Replies 3

David Lucas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Hunt!

This can be a loaded question. I'll start by answering your question and we'll take it from there.

In a OTV network, there are three main interfaces.

Internal interface - this is the interface that participates in L2 and extends the network. This interface can be a access or trunk port. It should be mentioned that this interface participates in Layer 2 so normal STP considerations need to be taken.

Join interface - this is the interface where L2 is encapsulated into L3. This interface has an IP address assigned to it and uses IGMP to join the OTV multicast group. OTV adds a 42 byte header to the packet so consideration for that need to be taken as well.

Overlay interface - this is a virtual interface where OTV configuration is applied.

As I said this can be a loaded question and I only touched on the interface. To answer you question:

"Does it encapsulates L2 information within L3 connections?"

Yes, at the join interface.

Hope this helps.

Dave

amandes2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Hunt,

Just to add up on David's reply above.

You can find the complete documentation on configuring OTV here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/wan_otv/configuration/xe-3s/wan-otv-confg.html

Hope this helps

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Hunt,

OTV

OTV is a technology which is used to extent existing L2 infrastruture over L3 netwrok , which is supported by Nexus 7k and ASR router only. You need to have transport service license on NX-OS inorder to deploy OTV

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: