cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Renaming a port profile on the 1000v. . .

brandonriley
Level 1
Level 1

All:

If I rename a port profile on the 1000v, how does that impact vCenter?  I did not assign a name to the "vmware port-group", so it inherited the name of the profile.  If I change that, will vCenter quarantine it? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can't "rename" a 1000v Port Profile.  You can either change the vmware port-group name presented to vCenter, or you can create a new 1000v Port profile with the new name, and then use the Migration wizard to move all attached virtual interfaces from the old to the new one - then blow away the unused old port profile.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brandon,

You can change the vmware port-group name without affecting traffic.  The port group name shown in vCenter is a logical tag to the 1000v port profile.  If you want to change the name using "vmware port-group new-name" etc, you can do so and it will be dynamically updated on all assigned VM Interfaces.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert! 

Any idea how vCenter reacts if a port profile name gets changed?  Our director wants to change those to make it more descriptive, and I don't have one in the lab to test.

Thx again!

You can't "rename" a 1000v Port Profile.  You can either change the vmware port-group name presented to vCenter, or you can create a new 1000v Port profile with the new name, and then use the Migration wizard to move all attached virtual interfaces from the old to the new one - then blow away the unused old port profile.

Regards,

Robert