cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Renaming a port profile on the 1000v. . .

brandonriley
Level 1
Level 1

All:

If I rename a port profile on the 1000v, how does that impact vCenter?  I did not assign a name to the "vmware port-group", so it inherited the name of the profile.  If I change that, will vCenter quarantine it? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can't "rename" a 1000v Port Profile.  You can either change the vmware port-group name presented to vCenter, or you can create a new 1000v Port profile with the new name, and then use the Migration wizard to move all attached virtual interfaces from the old to the new one - then blow away the unused old port profile.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brandon,

You can change the vmware port-group name without affecting traffic.  The port group name shown in vCenter is a logical tag to the 1000v port profile.  If you want to change the name using "vmware port-group new-name" etc, you can do so and it will be dynamically updated on all assigned VM Interfaces.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert! 

Any idea how vCenter reacts if a port profile name gets changed?  Our director wants to change those to make it more descriptive, and I don't have one in the lab to test.

Thx again!

You can't "rename" a 1000v Port Profile.  You can either change the vmware port-group name presented to vCenter, or you can create a new 1000v Port profile with the new name, and then use the Migration wizard to move all attached virtual interfaces from the old to the new one - then blow away the unused old port profile.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: