cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

separate vSwitch connection for VM host in ESXi 5.5

robin99
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question for my ESXi server networking and hopefully someone can assist to confirm. I need a server with two vNICs where first vNIC will connect to Nexus 1000v port-profile, BUT the second interface MUST connect to standard vSwitch. I saw the available options from drop down menu of server's network adapter which include both switches however I am now sure if I can apply it to work in production environment. Has anyone deployed this kind of server in production and works fine?

thanks

6 Replies 6

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Many customers actually do the following:

2 vnics connected to vswitch, for management interface, vmotion

2 vnic's connected to N1k, or DVS, for data traffic

Therefore if there is a problem with N1k or DVS, you still have your management connectivity.

thanks but my question is referring to a single VM say a windows 2012 server with two NICs, one connect to Nexus 1000v port and the second NIC connect to VMware standard vSwitch.

From ESXi networking perspective this means a single/same virtual server will be shown connected under BOTH ESXi standard vSwitch and also Nexus vDS.

This is not common as far as I know or at least in  my past 5 years UCS experience and I have new requirement to setup this now. Any thought?

Ok, I understand ? can you please explain us, why you would like to implement such a implementation ? Why should a VM care about the underlying infrastructure ?

Hi, one vNIC will connect to DMZ and another one to internal. I am not concerning why a VM care about underlying infra, as it should not. However due to unusual/new network connection setup in my case, I just not 100% sure if this can cause issue in production. I have tested in lab that I can set this kind of connections (config was accepted). I think I need to ensure the routing on my two NICs must be secure enough.

Hi 

I have seen many installations, where some of the blades are in the DMZ, others are internal to the datacenter, therefore it's based per hardware blade, not VM.

The design also makes use of disjoint vlan's; from the security point of view, this is for sure a better isolation.

I worked with Security Officers in the Finance Industries, who accepted  this design as compliant with their security guidelines.

I don't think that your design would be be compliant !

Thanks Walter. At the moment my client will not dedicate a DMZ host and would like to max utilize the resources but I see your points from greater security view. So far my host is working well in production.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card