Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Conversion To 10 Gig uplinks

lopema2013
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have been asked to research what would be needed to provide our servers with 10 Gig interfaces at our data center. I am not an architect and need some help deciding on what to use. Along with my own research I thought it best to inquire here as well.

I have worked with the Nexus (5k/2k-FEX) in the past but for our small company this seems like overkill. I am seeing that the 9300 series pops up when I search online. I am researching these and other options online.

My questions are as follows:

1. What type of switch(es) works best for a small business?
  2. Are the 9300's FEX switches or stand alone? (Configurable with out a "Parent" switch)
  3. What type of cabling, fiber or copper, is recommended?  I am thinking 10 Gig fiber (OM3) may be best but it would depend on the NIC.

I will continue my research in parallel to asking here.

Thank You,

Marty

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cat 9300 is new in the market and good to go for your requirement. (this is not FEX, and you do not need FEX for your requirement).

The requirement of cable, depends on what kind of interface you buying from vendor(like HP/Dell/IBM)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cat 9300 is new in the market and good to go for your requirement. (this is not FEX, and you do not need FEX for your requirement).

The requirement of cable, depends on what kind of interface you buying from vendor(like HP/Dell/IBM)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: