Views
Helpful
Replies

Span session on N5020 with Fexs N2K-C2248TP-1GE

raaffffii
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to capture traffic from 10 ports on N5020 fex N2K-C2248TP-1GE. One of my concerns is:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/CLIConfigurationGuide/Span.html:

"The switch supports a maximum of two egress SPAN source ports."

So if I create one span session and add all the 10 ports to it i will get all the traffic between those ports? Right?

1 Reply 1

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can configure any number of span sessions, but only two will be active at any given moment.

When you configure more than two SPAN sessions, the first two sessions are active. During startup, the order of active sessions is reversed; the last two sessions are active. For example, if you configured ten sessions 1 to 10 where 1 and 2 are active, after a reboot, sessions 9 and 10 will be active. To enable deterministic behaviour, explicitly suspend the sessions 3 to 10 with the monitor session session-number shut command.

There is no limit to the number of egress SPAN ports, but there is upper limit of 128 source ports in the monitor session. So it depends on how many source ports are there in the vlan.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card