Views
Helpful
Replies

Urgent clarification needed - 5010 fixed 10Gbps SFP+ ports

justinvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at the Nexus 5010P which saying it has 20 x 10Gbps fixed SFP+ ports.  My colleague said this comes with SFP+ ports but the picture doesn't seem to have it.

Can someone confirm I still need to buy the SFP+ modules separately rather it comes with it?

Thanks heaps

Justin

6 Replies 6

tiwang
Level 3
Level 3

hmm - the nexus has 20 10 gbps EMPTY SFP+ ports - I guess that you are asking for the SFP modules? Be aware of that the fiber-optics are terribly expensive whereas the the cobber-cables with SFP connectors are - well not cheap but they are easier to afford..

the first 10 ports can also run 1 gbps

ps: I can't remember how long 10 gig cobber-cables you can get but at least 1 - 3 and 5 meters (those are we using) and if you have it into a single POD this can often be sufficent.

Thank you the confirmation. This increase the cost of the switch significantly. Copper based cost 3 or 4 times less but unfortunately the server team wants to use 10Gbps fibre connection. Look like I may need to produce multiple options.

FYI for the copper SPF cables (Twinax) they come in 1,3,5 and 7 meter lengths.  This will usually cover you up to a width of 3 racks when properly cable managed.

Anything within reach should be taking advantage of twinax.  Not only is it a fraction of the cost of optics, but it's also lower latency and uses 1/10th the power of optics (0.1W vs.1W per port).

Regards,

Robert

First 8 ports on the 5010, First 16 on 5020 can be run in 1gbps mode.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

ryhicks
Level 1
Level 1

There are some bundles which include some SFPs. But the the base 5010 does not.

You will need to order either copper or fiber SFPs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: