cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Cisco UCS VIC 1387 MLOM with non-Cisco switch over 10 GbE DAC

baughmann1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to use the  with a 40-to-10 GbE Converter (CVR-QSFP-SFP10G) with the Cisco UCS Virtual Interface Card 1387. I wish to use the CVR in one of the QSFP ports on the 1387 to downgrade the connection to 10 GbE SFP+, allowing me to connect it to a UniFi 10 GbE Switch (USW-Aggregation). The VIC is in the MLOM port of a UCS C240 M5SX. The spec sheet for this server explicitly lists this VIC as being compatible. I am attempting to use a DAC cable, the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M. While this DAC is not listed in the 1387's spec sheet as being compatible, it is listed as compatible in the CVR's spec sheet.

The host C240 M5 is operating in standalone mode (Or, at least I wish it to be. Maybe there is a setting somewhere in CIMC to explicitly set it in standalone mode? If so, I have not seen nor changed it).

The spec sheet for the VIC states explicitly that it is compatible with the CVR adapter, along with some breakout cables, etc.

While the vNICs are presented to host OSes successfully, the link state is never reported as "up" in the OS, the switch, nor CIMC. Additionally, I am unable to change any settings in the "External Ethernet Adapters" tab of CIMC's "Networking" > "Adapter Card MLOM" page. All settings are greyed out when editing is attempted and the text boxes are disabled.

I believe that one possible reason that this is not working is because the 1387 may not be capable of speed auto negotiation. If this is the case, then why is the CVR adapter listed as compatible in the first place if the card is not capable of 10 GbE speeds? I'm assuming that there is some way to change the uplink speed in UCS Manager, but the question is: how can the 1387's uplink speed be changed in UCS standalone mode?

Additionally, is there some settings somewhere to put the C240 M5 in standalone mode explicitly, or is simply not hooking it up to a Fex/FI sufficient?

2 Replies 2

baughmann1
Level 1
Level 1

EDIT: I do not see the option to edit my post to add this info. I have added these servers to Intersight, but have not applied any policies or templates to them. Is this mutually exclusive with "standalone mode"? Could this be the reason I cannot edit the External Adapters?

ngoldstein
Level 1
Level 1

You need to ssh into the MLOM management. After you get in run scope chassis > scope adapter MLOM > scope ext-eth-if 0 > set admin-speed 4x10Gbps that will convert your 40Gb ports to 4 10Gb ports.