Views
Helpful
Replies

VEM and module number

eric.loiseau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I had a problem on FI and I needed to reinstall the N1k VEM, but before I had blade 1 -> esx1 -> module 1 and so on, now after a new install of VEM,  I have the right information with sh module vem, but there are no logical , I have now blade 1 -> esx1 but module 13 and so on ..

How can I renumbered the module without to reinstall something ?

Regards

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adding a module will take the lowest available VEM # starting at 3 (1 and 2 reserved for primary & secondary VSMs).

If you want to re-order them you have a couple options.  You can remove the VEM from the VSM (from vCenter, remove the host from the DVS temporarily), then remove any stale VEM records on the VSM (no vem x).  Then re-add your host back and it will take the lowest VEM # available again.

The other way is to manually change the host ID of the VEM # on the VSM config.

vem 3

host vmware id 35abec9a-8827-11e1-1111-000000000009

Enter the VEM # and add the host ID to the desired VEM #.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adding a module will take the lowest available VEM # starting at 3 (1 and 2 reserved for primary & secondary VSMs).

If you want to re-order them you have a couple options.  You can remove the VEM from the VSM (from vCenter, remove the host from the DVS temporarily), then remove any stale VEM records on the VSM (no vem x).  Then re-add your host back and it will take the lowest VEM # available again.

The other way is to manually change the host ID of the VEM # on the VSM config.

vem 3

host vmware id 35abec9a-8827-11e1-1111-000000000009

Enter the VEM # and add the host ID to the desired VEM #.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks for you reply, I see also that we can suppress a suspended VEM by a no vem 3.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: