cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why data center begin to build large layer 2 domain?

Steve Zhou
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I found large layer 2 domain is becoming more and more popular these days in data center networking design. Why we need a larger layer 2 domain? Do we have any use cases that could explain this?

thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When I mentioned Cisco's OTV, I didn't mean it to exclude something like TRILL, or some of the other technologies you've mentioned in your last post.  (Sorry if I mislead.)

What I'm trying to express, is supporting various forms of server redundancy I believe is one of the motivations of changes to the data center.  Is some respects, L2 makes some redundancy "easier" if you don't have to deal with L3 changes.

Something I didn't touch on, some of the focus of L2, I also believe, is for ultra high performance.  There's the old saying "switch when you can, route when you must".  Of course, this predates much of modern L3, such as L3 switches and MPLS, but today "cut through" switching has made a come back.

What you might want to do is repost this question (or thread) into the Data Center forum, where those who focus on Data Center considerations, might have different and/or better reasons.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An excellent question!

Perhaps one of the biggest drivers for going back to L2 has been virtual servers that can logically migrate from one part of the network infrastructure to another.

Consider a host, even perhaps a user host, that's wired into your network.  Once that host is on-line, if I repatch it to another port, same VLAN/subnet, it usually will resume operation, on the network, with little fuss.  Its MAC remains the same and its IP remains the same.

If I repatch the host into a different VLAN/subnet its MAC remains the same but it will need a new IP (DHCP for a server?).  The latter, different IP, is what causes issues, especially for other hosts trying to reach it (dynamic DNS? - DNS cache timers?).  Security access (ACLs based on static IPs and/or subnet blocks?)

Although L2 migration avoids L3 migration issues, it has scalability issues, both logical and physical.  The logical is being addressed by new technologies such as Cisco's OTV and the physical by new "fabric" approaches (often similar concept to what FibreChannel).

Hi JosephDoherty,

thank you for your input. I agree that VM mobility is one of the reason, but it may not be the main one. What if we need to move VM anywhere, even across datacenter? Yes, OTV can extend VLAN across VLAN,  but I would like to know more about large L2 domain within the data center, like TRILL was designed for.

In addition, for VM mobility, there are protocols like VXLAN, NVGRE that can meet the requirements of VM mobility. And L3 protocol seems to be more suitable for moving workload anywhere because of it's high scalability.

How do you think?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When I mentioned Cisco's OTV, I didn't mean it to exclude something like TRILL, or some of the other technologies you've mentioned in your last post.  (Sorry if I mislead.)

What I'm trying to express, is supporting various forms of server redundancy I believe is one of the motivations of changes to the data center.  Is some respects, L2 makes some redundancy "easier" if you don't have to deal with L3 changes.

Something I didn't touch on, some of the focus of L2, I also believe, is for ultra high performance.  There's the old saying "switch when you can, route when you must".  Of course, this predates much of modern L3, such as L3 switches and MPLS, but today "cut through" switching has made a come back.

What you might want to do is repost this question (or thread) into the Data Center forum, where those who focus on Data Center considerations, might have different and/or better reasons.

Hi JosephDoherty,

Thanks a lot for your help. Your input do have valuable information. I will post the same question to data center section.

I will post the same question to data center section.

You're going to sow confusion if you post the same question.

You can MOVE this thread to the DC section.

Oh....sorry for that. I will MOVE it. Could you pls help delete the duplciates?

Could you pls help delete the duplciates?

You can do that too.  Look to the upper right-hand corner of the screen.  You'll see the "Delete" with a red icon.

No, there is no "Delete" red icon under "Action" to me.

It looks like I cannot change the Corrent Answer, right? If so, maybe no one will help to answer my question. I must re-post it, is there any better choice?

thank you!

Under the Actions box, click "Report Abuse".

Request that this thread be relocated.

No such "Report Abuse" function under "Actions"

Look at Ivan Pepelnjak's posts on our favorite topic where he smashes all arguments for Layer 2 DCI (-:

Long-Distance vMotion, Stretched HA Clusters and Business Needs

Hot and Cold VM Mobility