cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
ktare
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Step by step procedure below. to Install Cisco ESXi 6.5.0 on UCS

1. Download the ISO by navigating to www.vmware.com > My VMware > Product & Downloads > All Downloads > VMware vSphere > Custom ISOs > expand the OEM Customized Installer CDs option and download the Cisco Image for ESXi 6.5.0 Install CD

2. Log into the server's CIMC web interface

3. In the Server Summary, under Actions tab select -> Launch KVM Console.

Dialogue box will pop-up, select “Accept the session” and continue.   KVM console session will launch as below.

4. Select “Yes” to continue.

5.On the KVM console, select “Virtual media” tab > Activate virtual devices. Then, accept the session on dialogue box that pop-up. Connection will be established.

6. Go again to “Virtual Media” tab > Map CD/DVD > Browse the location of .iso image and hit Map device.

7. Confirm that the .iso image is mapped to CD/DVD by going back to Virtual Media tab in KVM console.

Once confirmed, select Power Cycle System (Cold Reboot) under the Power tab.

The device will start booting up.

8. Press “F6” to enter into the boot menu.

9. Select a boot device “Cisco vKVM-Mapped vDVD1.22” and hit enter.

10. Once boot device is selected, it would automatically select the installed image and start loading the ESXi installer. This process would take 5-7 minutes to complete.

11. On the VMware ESXi 6.5.0 installer, Press “Enter” to continue.

12. Accept the EULA (End User License Agreement) by pressing “F11”.

13. Once the EULA is complete, select a disk to Install or upgrade and then press “Enter” to continue.

14. Check for Listed ESXi and VMFS found. Select “Install ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore” and press “Enter” to continue.

15. Confirm the upgrade by pressing “F11”

16. The upgrade to ESXi 6.5.0 will start and this process will take about 5-7 mins.

17. Once the upgrade will complete you will be directed to upgrade complete window. Hit “Enter” to reboot the server.

18. The server is ready to start using ESXi 6.5.0. Press “F2” to enter into Customize System/View logs.

19. Enter Login name, password when prompted, and press, “Enter” to continue.

20. Select the desired options to make changes to ESXi host’s system settings.

21. After making the changes in system settings, press “F11” to Restart or “F2” to Shut down.

You have completed your Cisco ESXi 6.5.0 install on UCS server.

See attached document for reference and detailed representation with captures.

Comments
Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Khushal,

Excellent and Helpful  DOC.

Recently we did successful ESXi upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5  on Cisco Business Edition 6000 [UCS C220 M4S]

I had a query that after we do this ESXi upgrade, ESxi goes in evaluation mode for 60 days.

So, how do we get these licenses.

Please guide.

regds,

aman

peeat
Level 1
Level 1
When will Cisco be releasing updates for the following two patches, and how do we go about obtaining them: ESXi 6.5 U1 Express Patch 4 (2017-10-05) 6765664 & ESXi 6.5 U1 (2017-07-27) 5969303 ? Currently running ESXi 6.5.0d ISO downloaded from myVMware.
Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@peeat Those are VMware ESXi hypervisor patches that are applied to the host OS. you would obtain those from VMware. Cisco does not release VMware patches.

sai.p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can we upgrade ESXI 6.0 to 6.5 with 2.0 firmware.

Thanks

Sai

mcwalter
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone have notes on how to load vmware on 2 UCS-SD-64G-S cards instead of the raid array on the UCS? 

Thx

peeat
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, Mr. @Wes Austin i was obviously confused -- guess i meant to inquire about a Cisco 6.7 ESXi image, but i believe that's now been released... i just need to try and upgrade my box, but 6.5U2 has been relatively stable, so i'm taking my sweet time. Appreciate you taking the to offer guidance to a neophyte user, sir.

jari.suosilta
Level 1
Level 1

The latest 2019-05-07 VMware_ESXi_6.5.0_10719125_Custom_Cisco_6.5.2.3.iso  6.5.2.3 update   6.5.0 build 10719125

fails update , stops at "No network adapters were detected"

However, i had saved previous version , and it worked ok:

6.5.2.2  6.5.0 build 9298722  VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-9298722-Custom-Cisco-6.5.2.2.iso

It upgraded OK

(i needed update to fix cucm installation problem missing cucm vm size selection)

SO 1 first tried, 6.5.2.3 failed, then idid 6.5.2.2 OK. i tried again 6.5.2.3 and it fails again to missing network adapter....

I guess i try update FW/CIMC from 3.1(2g) to latest first.

OR Cisco custom iso image is missing some driver.

jari.suosilta
Level 1
Level 1

Step 2 now installed Firmware update ucs-c220m5-huu-4.0.4c.iso
A new bug emerge:
in HTML KVM map ISO image and reboot server, when Strogare raid adapter initializes in boot, KVM gets disconnected and mapping is lost.

Fix > Quickly enable virtual devices in KVM  and map ISO image again, and it makes into boot  selection.
--
Now new FW so i tried latest Cisco custom image esxi update again
VMware_ESXi_6.5.0_10719125_Custom_Cisco_6.5.2.3.iso 6.5.2.3 update 6.5.0 build 10719125.

No luck, it still  stops at "No network adapters were detected"

nickkassel
Level 1
Level 1

Jarl, I have the same issue with 'No Network adapters were detected' using VMware_ESXi_6.5.0_10719125_Custom_Cisco_6.5.2.3.iso on a UCS C220 M5, did you get to the bottom top this at all?

jari.suosilta
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting, C220-M5 fails,but  C220-M4 works.

I just did update C220-M4 with ucs-c220m4-huu-4.0.2g.iso ,

and then successfully upgraded ESxi with VMware_ESXi_6.5.0_10719125_Custom_Cisco_6.5.2.3.iso

silvakizir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friend. Good job.

In my case the UCS Server came with ESXi version 7.0 and for a specific compatibility reason I need to install the ESXi version 6.7

As far as I know I can't do a ESXi downgrade from version 7.0 to version 6.7

If I follow your instructions will I manage to install ESXi version 6.7?

Do I somehow have to erase the existing installed ESXi version 7.0?

Thank you in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links