Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110W Site to Site VPN keeps dropping off

richardPBS
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

This is my first post and I hope that someone can give me some advice or help.  I've got two sites both using RV110w routers over a BT line.  They're successfully connecting over the site2site VPN using the Cisco control panels IP sec etc.  However the connections drop after a day or so and do not re-establish themselves whenever a connection is attempted from a PC on either Lan over the WAN (ie. devices on one lan are xxx.xxx.2.x to xxx.xxx.3.x on the other site).  If I enter the advanced VPN page on the router control panel/config and prompt to attempt to re-establish the connection it fails, the error log states that the connection fails due to "no connection has been authorized with policy=PSK 8".  If I make no changes to any settings, but save the page and then try to re-establish the connection this works and continues to work for a day or so. This is happening consistently over a two week period.  All settings on both routers for IP sec etc are identical, that fact that it will connect confirms that the policies etc must be aligned at some point. 

I've been searhcing the forums and Google bit couldn't find a similar position or help that fixed the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas about what would be causing this happen (ie. is it a router setting that I've missed), is it to do with BT, or the automatic adjustment of time on the LANS, or any other ideas or fixes to similar problems would be welcome.

Many thanks.

3 Replies 3

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Richard,

Thank you for reaching Cisco Small Business Support Community and I am sorry to hear about your problem.

I suggest you to first make sure you are running the latest RV110W firmware, v1.2.0.9;

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283879340&reltype=all&relind=AVAILABLE&release=1.0.0.2&softwareid=282487380&sortparam=

I would then suggest you to check on the IKE and VPN policies;

VPN > IPsec > AdvancedVPN Setup:

- IKE Policies: Exchange Mode; use “Main” and not ‘Aggressive”

- VPN Policy: if Auto policy, disable PFS Key Group (Perfect Forward Secrecy)

Please check this out and do not hesitate to reach me back, I'll be looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

And I would go further to disable any 'dead peer detection' or any other 'extras'.  Just make a bare-bones VPN connection and see if the problem persists.  Also, experiement with changing the actual encryption too as that can make a huge difference.  I spent 3hrs trying to get a TrendNet router to connect to an rv016.  Nothing worked the way it did for all my other routers.  I changed the protocols and poof!  Instant connection.  Dumbfounding how buggy all this stuff is sometimes...

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

E-ManN6868
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hate to revive a old thread but I am having the same problem and have not been able to find a solution anywhere so I joined this site today to ask for help.

RichardPBS did you ever get this resolved ?

Thanks,

E