Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W Wireless-N Network Security Firewall

we have

1-A wireless link (pre-wimax) that provide me with 2 Mb internet connection (tagged Ethernet frames) throught RJ-45

2-have 6 real IP _one of them as Gateway

what i need now is what is the best and cheapest device to do NAT and DHCP to allow users to access the internet , i am trying to do this using Cisco AP 1141 and the link is working fine with static ip configuration on my lap (give my wireless NIC real IP) but now i just need device to do NAT and DHCP

my suggestion is can i use  Cisco RV220W Wireless-N Network Security Firewall to do this function

is the WAN port on this router support tagged ethernet frames ??? or even untagged frames

and can i give this router one of those public IPs and give the rest of those IPs statically to other devices on the network

any help will be appreciated

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahmoud, the RV220W does not support tag ethernet frames on the WAN. The SRP500 series does.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom for your help

and kindly advice on those questions below and the below scenario

1- is the WAN port on this router support untagged ethernet frames ?

2- can i give this router WAN interface one of those public IPs and give the rest of those IPs statically to other devices on the network

WAN Interface to the pre-wimax device-----------2nd 10/100 port----------Router----------1st 10/100 port ------LAN interface users (DHCP )

NAT on router to translate from private IPs on LAN interface  to public IPs on WAN interface

thanks in advance

Hi Mahmoud,

1- Yes, untagged ethernet frames are fine

2- Yes, the router supports one to one NAT and DMZ functions which allow this proposed set up

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Toms for your help and support

so the SRP521W can be suitable for this solution as i think

connect the pre-Wimax tagged ethernet cable RJ-45 to the WAN port and make this port tagged in this 802.1Q frames

and then do a DHCP pool for the private IPs on LAN ethernet ports and make a NAT translation from private IPs to Public IPs

is this correct??

Thanks in advance