cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-28P gigabit LEDs do not light, but SG300-10 gigabit LEDs do

ben
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased and installed three of the SG300-10 switches and one of the SG300-28P switches.

Everything seems to be working fine (my nearly eight year old Netgear gigabit switches were dropping packets).

Only one small head-scratcher: on the SG300-10 switches, the gigabit LED (upper right corner of the RJ45 socket) lights up (as expected) for gigabit connections.

But on the SG300-28p -- even though the per-port LEDs appeared to be labeled the same way, none of the gigabit LEDs are lit.

Yet, when I examine the Port Management page on the web UI for the 28P, it correctly shows which ports are connected to gigabit devices.

I cannot find any mention of this in the Administrative guide.

Just curious: why is there a difference?

(Yes, I'm running latest software on the 28P).

Thank you,

--Ben

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ben, there is not a difference, the LED should light up with a physical connection and should go dark when disconnected. If upgrading firmware and resetting the switch doesn't resolve it, it is likely faulty.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom.

There are *two* LEDs per port.

The upper left LED acts as you describe in your post.

But the upper right LED is labeled as "gigabit", and on the dash-10 models, it lights up for gigabit connections and stays dark for 10/100Mbps connections.  As documented and expected.

But on the dash-28P, it stays dark even though the web UI confirms that there is a gigabit connection.

Do you want to try answering again?

Thank you,

--Ben

Tilman Schmidt
Level 1
Level 1

Wild guess: Could it be that the upper right LEDs actually signal "PoE" on the -28P model and Cisco just didn't bother to create different front panel print masters for the PoE and non-PoE models?

I'm used to PoE status being signaled by a LED on more or less every PoE capable switch I've come across, but I don't have a SG300-28P at hand right now to check.

Tilman, that is correct. And good catch, I didn't notice the P on there.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/