Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't route to internal network or internet through WAP4410n

Hello everybody

I purchased a WAP4410n for our small office to provide wireless access to our internal network to laptop users. I have configured the device as simplistically as is possible, but although I can get my laptop to connect to the AP (verified by managing the device wirelessly as well as by pinging the IP address) I can not get to any other IP address on my internal network nor the internet.

I gave the device a static IP address - 192.168.1.50 subnet 255.255.255.0 with a default gateway of 192.168.1.254 which is my 2811 router. I set up a WPA-secured SSID.

A second problem I have is that if I set up my laptop wireless card to get its' IP settings form a DHCP server, it picks up a 169.xx.xx.xx ip address - it is as if the AP is not passing my DHCP broadcast / response through.

Surely it cannot be that difficult to get this working?

Any advice would be welcome please.

Warm regards

Malcolm Stevens

6 Replies 6

Adding on to the above, I upgraded the firmware to the latest available.

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Malcolm,

If you set the WAP for DHCP or connect a PC to that same cable does it pull an address? and what address does it pull?

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Malcolm,

You can give us a call at @ 1-866-606-1866 and we can take a look at your topology & settings and help assist with your problem.

Thanks,

Jason

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Hi Randy,

I'm not sure about setting the WAP for DHCP - I never  saw any setting like this. I understood that the WAP should pass all  DHCP broadcasts through it, thereby allowing PCs connected to the WAP to  receive a DHCP address as if they were on the wired network. When I  connect a PC to the cable used for the WAP, the PC receives a  192.168.1.X IP address (correct) yet when a laptop is connected  wirelessly to the WAP it receives a 169 IP address (incorrect).

My DHCP server will never allocate a 169 IP address so I'm assuming there's a DHCP server somewhere else allocating the 169 IP address.

regards

Malcolm

Malcolm,

No this address that you are getting is located in the settings of your network properties. When your wireless settings times out , and the DHCP ack didn't get received your ip address  will default to this 169.xx.xx.xx address. You can actually change these settings your advance options. I like to do so; but my default address to something on my network for various reason;but you have to be aware of this.

Now what is the WAP4410N plugged into?

I have mine plugged into my ASA5505 with ASA doing DHCP and haven't had any problems, are you plugging the WAP4410N into a managed switch, router ? Some times this cause some issues with DHCP request.

Have you tested different security options on your SSID , looked for interference with INSSIDER program?

If you have it plugged into a managed switch we might need to do a packet capture to follow your DHCP request, offer, ack.

If you want give us a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and we can help you along with this process and try to determine what is root cause of your issue.

Thanks,

Jason

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Dear all,

My problem turned out to be port security on the Cisco Catalyst Express 500 switches into which the WAP4410n was plugged into. Thank you to Cisco Small Business Support for eventually pinpointing this problem.

regards

Malcolm