Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Low speeds on WAP activity WAP121

I have connected two WAP121 units to my Fibre network where the wired speeds are over 100mbs per second. The WAP gives a speed of max 45-50mbps at the WAP, and as one moves away line of sight 10-12 feet away it drops to less than 10mbps.

The WAPs are connected via a CISCO switch with PoE. The wired connection is also through this same switch, and via additional switches in other rooms.

Kindly assist in any configuration experience, to overcome this issue, as this situation is very disappointing.

2 Replies 2

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This is an old product; you may check the following parameters first…

• Ethernet port in WAP121 supports 100 Mbps, whether LAN is operating with full capability (speed and Full duplex)
  • WAP121 supports 2.4 GHz only, Please check once by selecting the Mode as ‘2.4 GHz 802.11n’only and Channel Bandwidth as ‘20/40 MHz’
  • How many users connected? In case old wireless adapters, supports only 802.11b or 802.11g are connected then that may reduce the overall Wireless throughput. Please try to check the status on an 802.11n capable adapter.
  • Signal strength on the device also influence the performance, please check whether relocating the devices helps to boost the signal strength for the Wi-Fi clients. Please try to avoid any physical obstruction between AP and client.
  • Wireless interference also may affect the performance, please try to use any non-overlapping channel to measure the performance.

In order to get any configuration assistance, you may contact the Cisco Small Business Support center following the below mentioned link…

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Dear Cisco Executive,

Thank you for the clarification. I am disappointed as thought the Cisco
product I am buying current. Any case, I had also tried the unit on
802.11n only to no significant difference. Wifi Signals from the unit
directly below the unit also do not give more than half the
bandwidth available from the fiber network.

No channel interference seems to be there. Have checked channel activity
near in the wifi environment,and other routers are on non
interfering channels.

currently have stopped using one of the WAP121units, and have connected one
floor on a WAP371 via a POE (Cisco) managed switch Cisco SG350-10P 10-Port
PoE...
and
another floor with one unit WAP121.

sending a screen shot of speeds the wifi is offering.

Will be retrying some of the remedies mentioned by you.

kind regards

Kaushik Udeshi