cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 freezes

amexus001
Level 1
Level 1

We have problems with 3 WAP371. Every 2-5 days one ore more of the accesspoint freezes and has to be restarted.

The WAP371 are configured with single point setup.  

What can we do?

Thanks.

Stefan

9 Replies 9

thetatwalter
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem as well and their tech asked me to provide log files despite the unit being locked up.  They get cleared on boot so no help there.  Unit operates normally on boot, then stops responding on wireless.  The network is accessible via wire, but slow to the point that you cannot use the web gui as it times out.  A little while later it freezes and must be rebooted.  At this point, your best bet is to replace the units with a different vendor's product.  I've gone with Brocade on the backend and will be putting Aruba units on the ceiling. 

Best regards,

Todd

Unfortunately same problem here.
Did someone ever found a solution ?
Very annoying and frustrating problem.

Our Cisco APs are connected to HP switches (if that should matter).

Unfortunately, no.  They appear to be underspec'd in the CPU and overheat until they crash.  Not helped by the lone vent being blocked by its own mounting bracket.   As soon as my hardware budget resets, they're getting pitched in the bin where they belong.

I don't think it's a heat issue.  I can unplug mine for 10 seconds and plug back in and it's fine.  10 seconds isn't long enough to dissipate that much heat if that was the issue...  I think this is a firmware problem.

kwhufford
Level 1
Level 1

I have this exact same issue, except I am not using the single point setup stuff.  I only have one WAP371.  It was fine for several months after first being installed and now it is freezing up about once a week.

Have you found any solutions to this issue?

Kyle

Jorge Obregon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, 

I had a case recently with a similar issue that the wireless signal was freezing every 24-48 hours and device had to be manually rebooted  and after some torubleshooting I found out that the issue was related to the wireless channel selectio..   probably you have it as AUTO.   

I would advise you to test by selecting manually one of the clearest channel (you can use a wireless scanner like inSSIDer to confirm the clearest channel).  instead of automatically.   this could be one possible reason for this issue. 

please do that test it to see what happen.  if it does not resolve the issue you can contact cisco small bussines support center  to open a case and go further wuth the troubleshooting 

also please make sure you have the latest firmware version 1.2.1.3

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286154471&softwareid=282463166&release=1.0.1.5

regards,

Dear Jorge

And if we select channels manually on a Single Point Setup configuration.. Will all the APs use the same channel?

Regards

viningele
Level 3
Level 3

I recently installed 4 of these on a project and am starting to see this same issue.  Today I VPN’d i to the job and logged into each AP and one of the  four had no clients and another had clients but showed no packets as being transferred.  Rebooted both and all good again.

These other posts are pretty old and these APs are running fw 1.3.0.6 so can it be Cisco hasn’t done jack to fix these problems, the release note made no mention on anything like this issue.  I’m beginning to thinkthe SMB line is riddled with too many problems that never get resolved or by time they do clients think we’re incompetent.  Well maybe we are for selling these Cisco products.

Anyone still seeing these issues?  Did the suggestion of manually setting channels work.  And to the a previous posted if you are in single point setup they all go to the same channel so you need to exit single point on each before assigning channelsand just go back to single setup when you plan on making identical changes to each.

stephenott
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem as well. We have five WAP371 units in our building. Every couple of days, they stop accepting new connections. We can still connect to them via wire. Logs do not show anything wrong other than errors like this:

Apr 20 2018 09:00:51 err hostapd[1296] trying to deauthenticate to station 48:a1:95:a7:4d:e5, but not authenticated
Apr 20 2018 09:00:51 err hostapd[1296] trying to update accounting statistics, station 48:a1:95:a7:4d:e5 not found

I will try the fix this by manually setting the channels, as suggested. 

Our WAPs are broadcasting on both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz channel. 2.4ghz is used for guest network. 5ghz is used for staff and linked to RADIUS.