Install-at site name

Install- at address

Install-At city

Install- At state

Install- at province

Install- At postal code

Install- At country

Install- At site ID

My question is where are we getting that data from? I dont think that location data is coming from SNMP via the end device but i could be wrong.

Customer is asking:

Is there a way to really tell the current physical location of a device? –through the collector data, or pinging their IP addresses.  If there’s a way to see this through the weekly collector data that would be great.

Thank you

Greg

5 Replies 5

Chris Camplejohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is based on the contract data.  SNMP sysLocation is collected but not those fields above.  But the sysLocation is entered humanly into the device.  There is no way to know the current physical location unless the customer has kept their snmp locations accurate or their contract installed-at entries accurate. Use of RFID or similar on products could be another way to have location-based inventory.

Excellent, that's what i thought thx Chris

2 questions in response

1. Is that sysLocation field available in all IOS devices?

2. Can you give me a link to the RFID solution? maybe there is an up sell oppty here.

Thx again!

sysLocation is a standard SNMP MIB-II value, so we collect it for all devices supported by SNTC.  I see it in the All Equipment page in the portal.  I don't know if it is present anywhere else in the portal or reports.  Customers can look at the command reference for various products to learn how to configure it.  In IOS, for example, you enter "snmp-server location xyz", where xyz is whatever location string you want to use.

I'm not aware of any specific RFID solution.  I was more theorizing that if there was any geo-tagging/RFID/GPS enablement on a device, then it could report its true location.  Sorry I cannot help more there, but I would think it would be a great solution for physical location-based inventory.

Chris, sorry one last question

WRT this thread, when making the input to the sysLocation in IOS which field gets populated in the custom inventory report. Im guessing its none of the above and could possibly be column F or "SNMP Location"

Could you pls lmk

Thx again

Greg

You are right it would be none of the above columns.  My assumption is that it would be the SNMP Location field.