cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add additional switches to Fabric

s.nicholls
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have purchased 2 9506 Directors whic we want to dd to ir existing fabric which consists of 2 MDS 9222i switches. As the new switches are running 5.0.1 code and the MDS 4.1 (3a) I presume that I will need to upgrade the existing switches as well as Fabric Manager.

The first question I have is around the upgrade. If i put the latest code on will there be any disruption at all?

The second question is how can i make the new switch the principal switch with minimal downtime?

Thanks

Steve

1 Reply 1

Vu Phan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Nicholls,

The first question I have is around the upgrade. If i put the latest code on will there be any disruption at all?

-     Upgrade old switch MDS9222i is a ISSU non-disruptive process

-     you wiil also need to upgrade Fabric Manager to 5.0.1 the same Release number as the switch or higher. In this case, 5.0.1 or higher. Preferred higher FM release

The second question is how can i make the new switch the principal switch with minimal downtime?

-     Assuming the configured domain ID left as default "preferred" on all switches

-     you can change switch priority to 1 or 2 to assume principle and restart fcdomain non-disruptive.

ex:

On the switch to be principle

conf t

fcdomain priority 2 vsan xx

fcdomain restart vsan xx