Views
Helpful
Replies

FCoE on Nexus 5548 and FI 6248

Luke Robertson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to configure FCoE between UCS (End host mode) and a Nexus switch. I think I have them configured correctly, however if I do a 'show interface vfc997' on the fabric interconnect, it displays this:

vfc997 is trunking (Not all VSANs UP on the trunk)

Bound interface is port-channel38

Hardware is Virtual Fibre Channel

Port WWN is 23:e4:54:7f:ee:a6:c7:ff

Admin port mode is NP, trunk mode is on

snmp link state traps are enabled

Port mode is TNP

Port vsan is 3820

Trunk vsans (admin allowed and active) (1,3820)

Trunk vsans (up)                       ()

Trunk vsans (isolated)                 ()

Trunk vsans (initializing)             (1,3820)

I have enabled some debugging with 'debug fcoe_mgr error' on the FI, and I get this error (about every 8 seconds):

2013 Apr 24 11:24:22.052330 fcoe_mgr: fcoe_mgr_handle_disc_advertisement(707): Error (42070010): packet rx 1600000c, VLAN 3820 is not FCOE Enabled

As far as I can tell, VLAN 3820 is FCoE enabled. Is this error saying there is a problem on the FI or on the Nexus? Thanks

3 Replies 3

abaskara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Are you trunking the native vlan as well ?

Can you provide the part of the config where you are associating the vlan to the vsan ?

Also, please provide -

show vlan fcoe

show run | in "system qos" next 5

Thanks,

Arun

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Luke,

Apart from Arun's commands, please check this post for sample FCoE uplink configuration between FI and N5K

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2205748

Padma

Luke Robertson
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions.

I was able to fix a few issues with these suggestions, but there are still problems.

One thing I was able to fix was taking the ethernet links out of the port channel, and just using one. Then I realised I had to make the link an FCoE uplink in the 'Equipment' tab, which I had missed previously.

Now something else is wrong, as UCS slows right down and sometimes vCenter crashes. I'm not sure what's wrong with the config, but as soon as I disable the uplink (from either UCS or Nexus end) the performance instantly returns to normal.

I have opened a TAC case about this. If we discover anything interesting, I will post it here.