cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interfacing Nexus 7ks F2e SFP+ FEX to Mellanox 40GB QPSK

enewburn1
Level 1
Level 1

I have been handed a couple of Mellanox switches that have 40GB QPSK interfaces that we want to link to our NX 2Ks in the data center. Our parent 7ks are running code version 6.14 and I am wondering what my options are for using an Octopus cable to connect.

I find examples of configuring interfaces in NX as "Breakout Ports" - but they seem to be for converting a NEXUS 40GB interface to 4 x SFP+ - whereas I want to go the other way (Connect 4x SFP+ to the 40GB Mellanox) using available Cisco / Mellanox "squid" cables.

Anyone have any experience with this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Couple of things :

1. It is not recommended to connect a switch directly to Nexus 2K (FEX) as they are only meant for end host connectivity.

2. To support the 40 GB breakout from Mellanox - The Mellanox switches must support the breakout and the configs have to be enabled from them.

Let me know if you have additional questions

Regards,

Nazim

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Couple of things :

1. It is not recommended to connect a switch directly to Nexus 2K (FEX) as they are only meant for end host connectivity.

2. To support the 40 GB breakout from Mellanox - The Mellanox switches must support the breakout and the configs have to be enabled from them.

Let me know if you have additional questions

Regards,

Nazim

Thanks Nazim. I did not know that FEX should not be used for other Network connections. Great to know - and kinda actually solves the issue, in its own way.