cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't get SNTP to work with SG300-10MP

bhataNishi
Level 1
Level 1

I received an SG300-MP as an RMA replacement for a Linksys SRW2008MP and I can't seem to get the SNTP to work.

Previously on other devices I have only had to set the SNTP server name or IP address and that was it.  So some of the options of the SG300 are foreign to me.

So I first set

Administration > Time Settings > System Time > Main Clock Source (SNTP Servers)   [X]

Then I set several SNTP server IP addresses

Administration > Time Settings > SNTP Unicast

> Add

Other / 64.147.116.229    (nist1-la.ustiming.org)

Other / 24.56.178.140     (wwv.nist.gov)

Other / 128.138.141.172 (utcnist2.colorado.edu)

Other / 129.6.15.29        (time-b.nist.gov)

Some servers I set "Poll Interval" and some I didn't because I wasn't sure what this does.

The status for all servers indicate "Down" with 31.12.1899 0.0.0 for the "Last Response"/

I found those IP addresses via    http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

Also the setting

Administration > Time Settings > System Time SNTP Multicast / Anycast

I have disabled, and I don't know what this does either...

If anyone can assist me I would appreciate it.

TIA

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi bhata, I don't know if you have a time source preference. But if you want it to work you can use this method:

• Admin -> Time settings -> System time
  • The UTC should automatically adjust
  • Save the configuration (copy run start)
  • Reboot the switch
  • The switch should then update with the correct date/time

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

The only obvious thing (to me at least) was that I had not reboot the switch.  So after everyone left the office I did a reboot, but it did not work.  In fact it set it back to 2012.  The Last Synchronized Server status says Unsynchronized

Also all NTP server status (under SNTP Unicast) says Down.  Does this mean that the switch can't access the different external IP addresses?  Is there any settings on the switch that would prevent that?

My small network does not have a server, just a bunch of computers.  My router is the DHCP server, so I don't have the Alternate Clock Source (PC via active HTTP/HTTPS sessions) enabled.

Hi bhata, try the settings I have in the screen shot and let me know if it works. If it does not I will look for an alternate solution.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom...

It did not work....

Ahh... never mind... found out what was wrong....

It was bugging me that the status for all servers was Down.  So after thinking about it and checking the settings, I noticed the Gateway was not set.  I set it to my router and it is now working...