cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS 350 Switch loses partial configuration after power failure

Greg Wake
Level 1
Level 1

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have several Cisco CBS350 switches deployed and during a recent power outage, several of them lost parts of their configuration.  A couple lost port trunk configuration, whilst others lost their VLAN IP address.

Fortunately I run them on a VLAN 1 and another management VLAN so I can always get to them via 2 different IP addresses.  This has been my saviour.

Not sure why.....The config is always written after changes have been made.  This has happened on several occassions so I frequently log into them and do the config save to be sure.  (I've saved the config both via the WEB interface and using SSH).

Would the mirror-configuration have anything to do with this?  If I reboot the device cleanly, all is good.  It seems a sudden power outage cause strange results.

Thanks in advance.

21 Replies 21

I'm pretty sure you need to disable the smartphone feature.

Unless you need it, try disabling it.

Those switches that I have with smartport off didn't have an issue, those with it on seemed to be the ones with an issue.

Still yet to prove it but pretty confident on this one.

Hi saadaldin2001,

Hi all other people visiting this post,

if you're thinking you're loosing configurations or part of configurations 

(VLAN on SwitchPorts, VLAN on LAG, Port-Configuration on Ports / LAG (Access, Trunk, General))

You need to check if the SMART-PORT Configuration is Active, if yes, then this can be the issue to think that you're loosing the coniguration / partial configuration.

But it is SMART-PORT who's overwriting parts of the configuration with the "detected" device on the port.
So, if you've connect another SWITCH to a port on this switch, the system will push the "Switch-Template" on the PORT/LAG and this produce the effect, that the configuration is changed for ex. to TRUNK and DEFAULT VLAN 1

If a IP-Phone is detectet, it will change the port to "Access" and will set the detected or default VoIP VLAN.

I think if You would be the "MASTER" you need anyway to disable the SMART-Port feature.
If u're USING a standard configuration SMART-Port can assist you with this "automation".

But i think in 90% of all networks, you'll need to disable SMART-Port to prevent those "side-effects", from Admins-View it seems that configuration is lost, but it isn't  it's SMART-Port what rewrite the port-configs. (after reboot and / or power loss)

I upgrade all my CBS 350 24 Ports and 48 ports switches IOS to the recent IOS '3.3.0.16' then I disable 'SMARTPORT' then I test it, the ports configuration become fixed and did not change after reboot or the electricity turned off, Now it's solved. this problem was like a bug in IOS.

Krlitos
Level 1
Level 1
Hello, I have the same problem in my switch equipment. After seeing the answers in this forum I was able to come up with the solution by disabling the smart port option and problem solved.

On the other hand, I saw this problem that apparently the changes are executed when there is an error in the matching of the native vlans. Apparently the switches self-correct and give the option to save those changes when you enter the web interface so after a reboot it automatically starts the smart port.

saadaldin2001
Level 1
Level 1

I upgrade all my CBS 350 24 Ports and 48 ports switches IOS to the recent IOS '3.3.0.16' then I disable 'SMARTPORT' then I test it, the ports configuration become fixed and did not change after reboot or the electricity turned off, Now it's solved. this problem was like a bug in IOS.

saadaldin2001
Level 1
Level 1

Krlitos
Level 1
Level 1

Damos por cerrado el tema, muy buenas respuestas.